Vitoria

We are in Spain right now playing the Vitoria Jazz Festival. The town is really beautiful and the weather has been fantastic. We play every night around midnight here at the hotel after the big concerts at the arena are over. Its been a lot of fun.

The best part about the festival is that all of the musicians are staying at the same hotel so there is a big hang and jam session every night. Wynton Marsalis and his band were here jamming all night Tuesday, it was fantastic. I had breakfast with Ben Wolfe a fantastic bassist who's played with Harry Connick and Diana Krall. I've hung with the legendary Sergio Mendez, Ronnie Mathews, Alvin Queen, and Victory Lewis ... But the best story so far is me doing laundry with the Bad Plus. Ive mentioned a hundred times how they are one of my favs right now. I go to the "lavendaria" to wash clothes and there they are, they are super cool guys.

We are here until Sunday when we head to the south of Spain to play another festival and some time off.


About this entry


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous 10:59 AM

    You have this wonderful job that everyone would be jealous of plus you get to take some time off to rest at the beach in the south of Spain, poor Lyman. I heard that you passed up a trip to Pamplona to see the running of the bulls, what's that all about? You have your whole life to be tired, haha. I'm glad you're having such a good time and meeting all these people that you have admired in your profession even if it is in the laundromant, haha. Hope you're feeling well and really enjoying yourself.

    LYFE Mom

     
  2. Anonymous 2:05 PM

    Hi, Lyman! It's Marcel and Theresa who most recently enjoyed your performance with Steve at New York's Blue Note on May 6.
    Surprise! We expect to see you and Steve again (Are you ready for this?) at Ronnie Scott's in London on Friday, July 28, and we know this will be the high point of our summer.
    We are faithful readers of your blog and enjoy getting the inside scoop of your tour.
    See you at Ronnie's for the 8:45 performance!
    Take care and have a safe trip!
    Marcel and Theresa Gagnon

     
  3. Jeff 4:09 PM

    Jam sessions every night?

    I'm having multiple mental orgasms. I can't even imagine how good that is. I'd love to wander through all that with a microphone.

     
  4. Lyman 12:12 PM

    Mom, Ill tell you how I do it. Contrary to popular opinion I am here to work and Im not going to put my job in jeopardy so I can sightsee.

    Marcel and Theresa, good to hear from you. Can´t wait to see you both again!

     
  5. Anonymous 1:46 AM

    I live in Vitoria and I heard your concert on July 14 (friday). Really fantastic ¡¡¡¡¡ . Please make a little (great) effort and return back to this little town next year. Give our regards to all the band !!!!!

    IƱaki