That Was A Weird One

I had a really odd gig last night. A piano player friend of mine called me to play a birthday party for this drummer, she wasn't really sure of the details. After exiting the freeway and getting closer to the gig it didn't take long to realize I was in an Asian neighborhood. I figured out from all of the Asian characters on business signs that it was either Chinese or Tawainese (well, that and the drummer's last name was Chen).

I arrived at the venue and met Mr. Chen and his friends. I don't know if you've ever been in an Asian place of business here in the U.S. but they all seem to have a similar vibe; gaudy decor, white Christmas lights, black tile in the bathroom, and the smell of some sort of cleaner that must be exclusive to Asian businesses. I quickly realized that my pianist friend and I would be the 'ringers' for a jam session in honor of Mr. Chen's birthday. It wasn't going to be the type of jazz gig we expected.

So we started playing, I don't know how to say this without sounding mean but they were pretty bad and pretty hard to play with. Everyone was super nice so the gig wasn't a total drag but boy oh boy, that's the first time I've played contemporary Christian worship songs in Korean. I was trying to not laugh the whole time, not because of their musicianship but because of the absurdity of the situation.

All in all I had a pretty good time.

Tax time didn't turn out to be so bad. Sure we owe but not as much as we have in years past. There was a brief moment of panic when the accountant asked for our babysitter's social security number (to write off daycare expenses) and neither Carrie or I was sure that she had one. WHOA! But everything was cool and on the up-and-up.

I have some time off this week to catch up on some reading and watch Mr. Milo. And Carrie has a friend from England in town who we're going to spend some time with. I better get all of the fun I can in before I leave for a week in Atlantic City next Saturday where the only (and I mean ONLY) fun to be had is poker and booze.


About this entry


4 comments:

  1. KHM 2:26 PM

    yo--does that mean you'll be at the Birchmere gig?

     
  2. Lyman 7:21 PM

    nope

     
  3. KHM 6:27 AM

    does THAT mean you won't? :-) Or you just don't know yet?

     
  4. Lyman 8:18 AM

    I will not be present at the Birchmere whatsoever. I'd tell you if I were coming to your town, don't worry.