Music

Last night my favorite indie band Margot and the Nuclear So and So's played at legendary L.A. club The Troubadour and yours truly was in attendance. These guys are quite possibly the best band ever to come out of Indianapolis. I've written about them before, they really are brilliant (think hard-rock Ryan Adams meets Broken Social Scene if that means anything to you). I know their trumpet player from Ball State, it was great hanging with him and great seeing the show.

I've been waiting for their new record Animal! for a while now, it was released yesterday but for some odd reason it was only released on Vinyl. Now, I appreciate a record being released on wax for classic and nostalgic reasons but you can't even download it from Amazon or iTunes. I'm afraid they might have out-cooled themselves. So I don't have the new record as my turntable is fried and needs to be replaced and I don't have anything to play it on at the moment. Luckily they also released a CD titled Not Animal comprised of other songs from the same recording sessions, I downloaded that yesterday and its got some good stuff on it but I feel like I'm missing out. Its too bad.

I've been buying a lot of music lately, more than usual. Too much as I'm not digesting everything like I should. In the past couple of weeks:

Murs Murs for President
Miles Davis The Man With The Horn
Helmet Meantime
Nick Drake Five Leaves Left
TV on the Radio Dear Science
Living Legends The Gathering
Fleet Foxes Fleet Foxes
William Parker Corn Meal Dance
Various Nigeria Rock Special: Pshychedelic, Afro-Rock, and Fuzz Funk in 1970's Nigeria
Immortal Technique Revolutionary Vol. 2
She and Him Volume One

That's not to mention the Wave Mechanics Union and Margot records that I blogged about. Look at that list. Does anybody know half of these records? Damn, I'm a nerd ...


About this entry


5 comments:

  1. Lyman 9:18 AM

    I just got Rachael Yamagata's new record "Elephants , ...", now I'm done, seriously!!

     
  2. Special K 12:56 PM

    Half, no. I was pretty impressed that I knew like, two. I love the Fleet Foxes!

    Let us know if the new Yamagata is good!

     
  3. KHM 2:36 PM

    I recognize five of them. heh---funny, my world view is the people who know music others don't are the cool ones, not the nerds.

     
  4. Jeffool 10:58 PM

    Being a fan, how was Murs' latest album? I haven't been a fan of much he's done with 9th Wonder.

     
  5. Lyman 10:38 AM

    Its good, its his first major-label record so there's some commercial sounding stuff on it (including a track with Snoop Dogg?!), but Murs' skills as an MC can't be denied and there's some good production on it as well.