Long Weeks

What a week.

San Diego was once again a lot of fun. This time I stayed at a hotel with a bunch of online friends of mine. It was a blast. Comics geekout during the day and partying at night with good people doesn’t get much better than that. The highlight of the trip was the ComiCon Funk Jam on Saturday night. This is where a bunch of artists get together and do live art while being accompanied by DJs and musicians. The whole thing was organized by Jim Mahfood, one of my favorite artists and the guy who’s doing the cover of my record. I bought a helluva lot of great comics and saw some really cool stuff. Can’t wait to do it again next year.

My good friend Brett stayed with me for a few days before and after the Con, and on every one of those days I had a gig. He’s a good guy and was a fun houseguest. I feel exhausted right now. Brett left today while I was at a gig. Tonight I take Carrie to the airport to fly back to Indy. I have another gig tomorrow during the day and I fly out to meet her tomorrow night.

These daytime gigs I’ve been doing are mostly this improv class I’m teaching to middle school kids in downtown LA. It’s been fun so far. I was pretty nervous about teaching a month-long class since I haven’t taught in a really long time. But I think it comes pretty naturally to me so I’ve been enjoying it. In addition to that I’m accompanying another improve class at the Henry Mancini Institute. But I’m only playing bass for that, not teaching.

I have a lot of new music to check, but I haven’t had a free second to yet. I’ll get them on the iPod and listen to it on the plane.

The trip to Indy should be fun. It’s always good to go back home and see my family. Carrie and I are attending a wedding in which she is the Maid of Honor. I think she’s a little nervous about it but I know she’ll be great and look beautiful. Then I come right back to more work.

I got more dates from Tyrell’s tour manager the other day. He’s going to be hitting the road pretty hard at the end of the year, looks like we’re even going to Japan for a week or so in October. That’s pretty exciting; I’ve wanted to go to Japan for a while now.

Busy, busy, busy, busy … I was looking at my schedule the other day and I realized if I didn’t get another call for the rest of the year I’d be totally fine. Seriously, I am that booked up. What a good problem to have.


About this entry


2 comments:

  1. Lena 7:49 AM

    Nice! I'm assuming you'll be in Tokyo during your stay in Japan. I know some people who went over there for vacation and had a blast.

     
  2. Lyman 9:12 AM

    I know we are going to Tokyo but we might be going to another city as well. I'm pretty excited.