V for Vendetta

I can count the number of times I've left the house the past couple of days on one hand. And that's a good thing as I'm starting to feel better.

I finished reading this comic yesterday called 'V for Vendetta'. It was written by a man highly regarded as perhaps the comics medium's best writer, Alan Moore. Now I've mentioned before how I don't get too jazzed about comic movies, not only do they rarely deliver but I usually appreciate the stories much more in comic book form anyway (it's more about the medium than the story sometimes) but a 'V for Vendetta' movie is coming out next month and after reading it I'm pretty stoked to see it.

'The League of extraordinary Gentlemen' and 'From Hell' were both written by Alan Moore as well (as well as 'The Killing Joke' which is the comic that the first Batman movie was based on). I thought the movie version of 'From Hell' was fine and 'The League ...' was practically unwatchable. But the story for 'V ...' lends itself to the screen more than the other two.

'V ...' the story of a post WW3 London that is now a fascist state. An anarchic character named V (based on Guy Fawlkes) begins an idyllic revolution by wreaking havoc on the gov't. But that is only a brief description, the story has many layers and themes. You could comment and talk and write about this book for quite a while, and some have. It's a very appropriate time to adapt this movie considering the leanings of our current administration. I think it will be a grand movie. And the cast! Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving, directed by the Wychowski Bros. Should be great.

And hopefully it will draw others to Alan Moore's work, not in movie form but in their original comic form. So be on the lookout, y'all!


About this entry


2 comments:

  1. Jason 4:55 PM

    I have been stoked to see this ever since I first saw the adds. It was supposed to be released in November, though evidently it wasn't finished yet.
    I totally agree on the Legue movie. I couldn't believe that cast and story line made a miserable movie, I was very disappointed.

     
  2. Lyman 2:28 AM

    It was nothing like the comic. I've never thought anything of Moore's would translate well until I read V.