So much for that

Well I've spent the last three days working. And it wasn't just a few gigs around town, I hauled my ass all the way down to Orange County twice, the southern part down by Laguna. That's around 70 miles. And the gigs didn't even pay great, I just knew they'd be fun. Thursday night I played at a private function at the Getty Center, some reception for Merril Lynch (I guess they'd just donated money for a new exhibit or something). Friday I played at a restaurant with this band I work with whenever I can (that is to say whenever I'm in town). They play a lot of older-style pre-bebop jazz which is a lot of fun for me; old standards, Louis Armstrong type stuff--plus the people in the band are really cool as well. Tonight I played with the same band at the trumpeter's 40th birthday party. Carrie went with me. A good time was had by all.

I don't know what it is, I think I take all of the gigs I can because I still kind of think I'm this struggling bassist trying to make it in LA as a professional musician and I need to take advantage of ever opportunity presented to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound like a rock star or anything, but I'm at a place in my career now where my time is worth a lot more than some of the gigs I take. I dunno. It's a good problem to have.

Earlier in the week I was in computer hell. My CPU wasn't working so I found a guy in the phonebook (I can't remember the last time I had used a phone book) whose price was very reasonable. He told me I needed a new power supply and had one there for me. He also said that my OS was corrupted and fixed that (or so we thought). Like I said he was really reasonable but I was at his shop for like four hours or something. Total waste of a day. And the bitch of it is my computer still isn't right and it looks like I might have to wipe the hard drive to fix it. Drag.

Colts have a big game tomorrow, I gotta go to bed to make sure I get up in time to make it to the sports bar for kickoff. g'night!


About this entry


6 comments:

  1. KHM 9:54 AM

    hey baby---don't know exactly what your problem is but I would recommend a couple of diagnostics/repair tools that you can get off the internet (if you have access to a machine that you can use to download them): look for CCleaner. I'll send the names of others soon. XP is notorious for problems with DLLs and registry problems. I've been down this road a time or two...
    love you
    kathy

     
  2. KHM 10:20 AM

    OK: a couple of nice diagnostics/tools that might solve your pc/software problem:

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Registry-Cleaner.shtml (Registry Cleaner)

    CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

    DLL Orpans: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Dll-Orphans.shtml

    PC CLeaner http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/PC-Cleaner1.shtml

    I'd recommend running all four; no need to purchase any of them, the demos are all fully functioning versions. Hope it helps.

     
  3. Lyman 8:50 PM

    I know the problem, don't think that stuff is going to help. I'm trying to install Service Pack 1 and I keep getting a really specific error program about my cryptographic services. I've gone to Microsoft's website about the error and have tried three of the four possible solutions, none of which have worked. The fourth involves me going into the registry, the computer guy said I could really screw up the computer if I make a mistake so I'm going to wait until I have a full day in case I need to do a complete system restore.

     
  4. Drew 6:05 AM

    Work all the gigs you can/want now because in a short time, you aren't going to want to go to them. When SunBaby arrives, wherever he/she is at is where you are going to want to be.

     
  5. Anonymous 6:15 AM

    Hey, Punky:

    I cheered really loud for you on Sunday!!!! Once we survived the 1st Qtr, it was a pretty good game, except as ALWAYS, we go the B-Team refs. Blind as bats when it came to pass interference on Marvelous Marvin!!!!!

    Love you and looking forward to seing you next month. My love to Carrie & Sunbaby!!!!

    SueAnne

     
  6. Lyman 5:55 PM

    I was thinking about you the whole time SueAnne! If you recall the two games I've got to go with you to over the past couple of seasons were both against the Jags.

    I feel another rollercoaster season coming on.