Automobile Hell

Tuesday night I was headed to a gig when I noticed my car start to jerk. A few seconds later *BOOM* I see pieces of my car fly up from the front driver's side and my car handling like I'd just had a blowout. So I pull over to the side of the freeway and check out what had happened; the tire was not flat but the tread had come off most of it but was still attached. The tread had whipped around the wheel well while I was driving and as a result the body of the car from my driver's side headlight to where the wheel well used to start was gone (my car has one of those plastic bodies that are designed to shatter for safety reasons). Not only did the car look thoroughly screwed but I was on the side of a freeway. If you're not familiar the freeways in LA have two speeds: 2 mph during gridlock and 80 mph when the traffic is clear because everyone is trying to make up for the time they lost during gridlock. Well everyone was going really fast that night I didn't have any room to change my tire on the side of the freeway. A friend of mine came out and followed me while I drove to the next exit (remember the tire wasn't flat, the tread was just off) and changed my tire. I got the spare on easily enough and made it to my gig only 1/2 hour late.

So I call my insurance company and make a claim and Carrie takes the car to the body shop to get an estimate yesterday while I'm at work. The mechanic tells her that the damages would cost more than the value of the car ($1900 Blue Book) and the insurance company won't pay for it. He says they will either buy the car from us for Blue Book value or help us pay for the repair (the latter probably isn't going to happen). We are still waiting for a call from the insurance company hear what our official options are.

Does that suck or what? I have to buy a new car or drive around a hooptie that drives fine despite being able to see directly in to the engine block.

But there is another wrinkle to the story. There is a chance that the tire that caused all of the damage is under warranty. I know I got it recently, you should see the tread it is hardly worn at all. So today I'll take it to Pep Boys (they keep warranties in their system) to see if not only I can get a free tire but if they'll pay for the damages as well. I figure if I tell them the insurance company might come after them they might be willing to take care of it.

So stay tuned.

And to top it all off I lost one of our digital cameras on Tuesday. What a day.

But professionally things have been going well lately. I've played a couple of gigs this week with some terrific players and yesterday I taught at Musician's Institute in Hollywood. I subbed for the upright teacher there and it will probably lead to more work. The pay sucks but its great for the resume and I enjoy teaching a lot more than I thought I did.


About this entry


6 comments:

  1. Corinne 9:48 AM

    So I am assuming you have full coverage on your vehicle?!?! Coming from someone in insurance claims, I would have another estimate done, or have your insurance company come out and estimate the vehicle. You may want to see if they can put aftermarket or LKQ (Like Kind Quality) parts for your vehicle and maybe not total it out. Body Shops like to use new parts when estimating a vehicle. If you only need a new fender and it sounds like you may be getting an new tire from Pep Boys, it may not cost that much....depending on your deductible.

    Just my expertise with working in insurance.....if you have any questions, ask. I can try to help from Indiana.

    Love you and miss you guys!
    Corinne

     
  2. Corinne 9:48 AM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  3. Lyman 11:24 AM

    I just spoke to the claims person and she mentioned the same things you did. She says we can get another estimate on our own dime (they only pay for one). The total loss figure she gave us is $1656 (yuck) but she said if we do some research on what comparable cars are selling for in our neighborhood that is negotiable as well. She also said they will give us some money if we want to retain the car but she has to wait until some live auction happens on Monday or Tuesday.

    Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if I have any other questions.

     
  4. KHM 11:31 AM

    I'm sorry, dude; that blows. I hate it when the value of your vehicle is so much greater than retail, right? To you, its a ride anytime you need one, already paid for (mostly). To take on car paymemnts...bleh.

    Recently Rob drove our minivan (8 years old, 100K miles) to his office. He had to park in a terrible parking garage---he scraped up the passenger side door and rear quarter panel. It looks bad but still works---I can't bring myself to pay what it would cost to get it pounded out and painted. And I'm certainly in no position to take on a car payment unless I want to work (I do not, thanks). I hope you don't end up buying a new car...

    Good news about the teaching; I would imagine its VERY gratifying and you've got a great disposition for it.

     
  5. Anonymous 12:10 PM

    Poor little feller. Ain't nothin' worsen haven car problems. I too hope you don't have to get a new vehicle with payments but it seems as soon as you don't have a payment something happens to the car. It's probably worth it to you to get it fixed even if not by blue book standards. Glad you weren't hurt, it could have been an accident. That's the good thing. LYFE Mom

     
  6. Lyman 3:53 PM

    Well we haven't been paying on the car for the past four years and there hasn't been any big fixes for it the whole time and its been on some long road trips. The more we think about it the more it looks like getting a new car is probably the best option.