If he's good enough for Beckham, he's good enough for me

I've had a really nasty wart on the bottom of my foot for a few years now (did you know one of the technical names for this kind of wart is a Verruca?). My doctor tried liquid nitrogen, it didn't work. In fact it's gotten worse over the past year, so the last time I visited my doctor she put in for a referral for me to see a podiatrist.

I finally had the podiatry appointment today. As I'm sitting in the exam room I notice a signed poster of the 2006 World Cup on the wall. On the other wall I notice a framed jersey from the US National Team also signed and at the bottom is a little plaque saying 'Dr. L (I forget how to spell his name) US Nat'l Team Podiatrist.' Cool! If this guy is working on the feet of the US's best soccer players, he must be alright. He comes in and starts working on my verruca and I tell him my story about my experience in Italy during the World Cup finals last year. He tells me he's also been the podiatrist for Los Angeles's Major League Soccer teams the Galaxy and Chivas USA for years.

Now, maybe you haven't heard but soccer superstar David Beckham was signed to the LA Galaxy earlier this year for millions upon millions of dollars. He arrived to the team this summer but hasn't been able to play more than a couple of minutes per game because of an injured ankle. Needless to say fans are pretty disappointed that Beckham with his international celebrity, pop star wife, and enormous paycheck has yet to make a contribution to the team.

So I ask him "have you met Beckham yet?"
He says "I'm working on his ankle."
"Is he going to able to play soon?"
"He'll play 20 or 30 minutes tonight."

I felt like calling a sports talk radio program and letting them in on the breaking news I'd just heard. Then I remembered we were talking about soccer and they probably wouldn't care too much.

So he sent me away with a couple of ointments and told me to come back in a few weeks for more treatment. I left comfortable in the knowledge that if this man has helped bring David Beckham back from injury then there is a good chance that he will get rid of my nasty Verruca.

UPDATE!
Beckham started for the Galaxy and scored his first goal for the team last night.


About this entry


7 comments:

  1. KHM 5:20 PM

    My podiatrist was a groovy dude, too. So that's what, only like two degrees of separation b/t you and Becks? Whoa...

    Hope your verucca gets better soon! I think it takes a special man to own up to his warts so publicly; good for you, Lyman. Live it, love it, be it...

     
  2. Jason 7:14 PM

    Salt...shouldn't that work? Verucca Salt...Come on, someone had to make the stupid chick rock group connection.

    It may just be me, but his wife seems to be an alien, every photo I see of her it looks like her head is twice the size it should be on her body and oh those sunglasses are huge!

     
  3. Lyman 10:35 PM

    dude, she's gross ... give me Baby Spice any day of the week

     
  4. Anonymous 6:04 AM

    Dear Nephew............... we treat warts by putting Duct tape on them until one day when you change the tape....it comes off. Try it!

    Love, Aunt Carol

     
  5. Lyman 7:16 AM

    Duct tape is part of treatment he wants me to do actually; pumice bar, ointment, duct tape.

     
  6. KHM 7:51 AM

    The parenting perspective on duct tape:

    Duct tape is silver; silence is golden.

    Sorry for the non-sequiter; its just funny...

     
  7. kbmulder 10:36 AM

    Wow! Cool that you are on the inside track of professional soccer information. Maybe next visit you will spot Beckham, himself. I agree Posh is kind of alien looking. Ginger Spice is my favorite.