Indie-tastic!

I've been checking out a lot of indie rock lately (for some reason there isn't a whole lot of great new jazz being released at the moment). I've found some really good stuff. Here's the best of what I've been digging on:

Ys, Joanna Newsom

Joanna Newsom is the most refreshing and talented musician I've heard in a long, long time. She plays the harp and sings with an ethereal tone (some call it child-like which at first listen might be appropriate). I don't know how to describe what it is she does; avant-garde folk? Whatever it is I guarantee you've never heard anything like it. Os Ys the great Van Dyke Parks (who was Brian Wilson's collaborator for Smile!) provides the string arrangements. Her previous record The Milk-Eyed Mender might be more accessible for some. Its really nice to hear something so original.

Mirrored, Battles

Battles provides some truly unique sonic-scapes. Some call them 'Math Rock', I prefer 'Hardcore Prog Rock'. Really interesting sounds, samples, and song arrangements. The band features the drummer from the great alt. metal group Helmut and Tondai Braxton, son of avant-gard jazz saxophonist Anthony Braxton.

Let's Stay Friends, Les Savy Fav

Good ol' melodic punk rock. Not much else needs to be said.

Class of 73 Bells, Prefuse 73

I'm not much of an electonica fan, but this extended single really creates a great mood. Very melodic and the beat sounds organic. This one is so new I can't even find the album art online.

The Dust of Retreat, Margot and the Nuclear and So and So's

Here's some Indy Indie rock. The band are local to Indianpolis and they remind me of everything that is good about original music in Indy; melodic, moody, folksy. They have quite an epic sound an an instrumentation that features horns and strings. I bet they're probably great live.

What've you been listening to? Any hidden gems on your playlists?


About this entry


4 comments:

  1. KHM 7:02 PM

    so sad; we've all abandoned TFTD... gotta do something about that but first I'll check out some of these!
    ciao--
    kat

     
  2. KHM 9:21 AM

    But as regards your actual question---yeah, I've got some cool new stuff:

    Mute Math---power pop at its finest. Big drums. Ought to push Maroon 5 and Coldplay off the charts. don't know, though; it could be most appealing to music geeks.

    Nick Drake -- Pink Moon; folk; he has a great voice.

    Jamiroquai --- not new releases but I just got Synkronized and A Funk Odyssey; both better than Traveling Without Moving.

    Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga; Alt. Rock; oh so cool. Makes you remember how the three-chord rock standard came to be so...simple but damn....nice voice on the lead vocal. (get the album name G chord, A chord, G chord...see?)

    EVANESCENCE! -- for when you've got to rock out with a screaming chick! The newish The Open Door sounds great and is pretty heavy. Whatever happened to Garbage? They make me miss that Manson chick.

    I could tell you more but then everyone would know how many cd's I'm still buying....

    OH! Can NOT forget---a friend (uh, like your sister-in-law) just sent me a very cool mix cd; very chickish. Mostly folk and bluegrass-ish country. Some of the best lyrics and voices I've heard in a while. Jolie Holland's "Old Fashioned Morphine", The Be Good Tangas and Michelle Shocked all really please me.

     
  3. Lyman 3:44 PM

    Everyone seems to love that Spoon record, I should check it out.

     
  4. KHM 5:48 PM

    you SHOULD check it out. You can hear a bit of it on NPR.org.