Televsion/Work Diversity/"Leave Britney Alone"

TV is an entirely new and exciting thing with DVR and On Demand. If you have either you know what I'm talking about. I haven't watched a regular TV series for a while but these days I'm seriously digging on a few really great ones.

Californication-Did you know that David Duchovny can act? He can! And he's really great in this show, he stars as a writer in L.A. struggling with writer's block and trying to be a good father to his twelve-year-old daughter. As an added bonus our friend Amy (who was one of Milo's first babysitters) stars in the first few epsiodes.

Weeds-This series has turned from dramatic and clever to bitter and humorous but its still the best 'sitcom' on TV.

Big Love-The second season just wrapped up and it didn't disappoint.

Feasting On Asphalt-I love Alton Brown. One day I'd like to take a long road trip across the country.

Blind Date, Intervention, Confessions of a Matchmaker-Okay, these shows are crap. Everyone needs guilty pleasures though.


This is perhaps the most diverse week of work I've ever had. Monday I had a recording session for a friend who is writing a transcription book of Paul Desmond solos that is going to be published by Hal Leonard. He recorded the sax solos with a rhythm section for the CD that is going to accompany the book. Desmond was part of the "West Coast" style of the 50's, this brand of jazz was much more laid-back and understated than other post-bop styles of the day. We had to cop the feel of the original Desmond recordings for the session. I'm usually pretty aggressive with my beat, laying back took some adjusting.

Tonight I accompanied jazz vocal majors at MI in performances for their Finals.

Friday night I am playing a gig with my buddy Vinnie's punk/hardcore/art-rock band SPIT. That's right, punk rock baby. I haven't played music like this since high school, its going to be a blast.

Saturday night I have a jazz gig at a rock club in a hip part of L.A. (Los Feliz, the neighborhood popularized in Swingers) with some very heavy cats. It will be some hard-hittin' stuff.


By now we've all heard or seen Britney Spears' debacle at the VMAs on Sunday (Man, remember when the VMAs were cool? That was a looong time ago.) Her lip-syncing was terrible, her dancing was stiff and clumsy, and she did not look well. But doesn't Miss Spears deserve a little slack? This fan certainly thinks so:

*LANGUAGE WARNING*

*PSYCHOTIC FAN WARNING*


About this entry


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous 4:24 AM

    Sounds like you're having a wonderful week. Have fun.
    LYFE Mom

     
  2. KHM 6:43 AM

    Slack? maybe; Break?---as in long one in an institution? For sure. Didn't see the VMAs; I'll have to check it out. Love a train wreck, ya know? I have two words for Britney: Get Help. (and leave us out of it until then) Take your raccoon-eyed fan with you.

    I dunno about Californication. So far I've only caught one episode and I thought it was a little gritty even for me. We'll see. Duchovny's character got laid in just about every other scene...not admirable. Weeds, Confessions of a Matchmaker, big ups on those; favorites of mine.

    ok, I'll admit to being the clueless jazz-head who didn't realize that Desmond had a true musical identity outside his Brubeck work. Do you like his stuff? Your current gigs sound very fun...keep me posted!

     
  3. Lyman 6:53 AM

    The pilot for Californication was much more gratuitous than the other episodes. There is less shock value and more story as the series goes on.

    I'd never really checked out much of Paul Desmond's stuff, it is pretty good.

     
  4. Jeff 3:33 PM

    That Desmond gig sounds awesome! I can't wait till it comes out.

     
  5. Special K 6:05 PM

    Do you wonder what General Petreaus would say about Britney's performance? "It wasn't like a train wreck at all, and I didn't feel dirty after I watched it. Britney does not need help."

     
  6. nikki 6:54 AM

    i heart alton brown. i really, really do. haven't seen the new show but i'll be checking it out.

    really LOVE the matchmaker series. that first episode was off the chain with the guy who didn't realize he was gay. he was so repressed it was painful to watch.

    as for britney...she has to continue her journey until she gets to a point where she's ready to change paths. i wish for her the clarity of mind and strength needed to get to that point. it's jacked up folk have to see her struggling in public though. i wonder how many of us remember when we were younger and doing stupid ish, too.

    money don't guarantee maturity.

     
  7. Special K 7:14 AM