Heeeeeeere's Lyman

I'll take you through a brief account of my day at NBC Studio 3 (take note of the amount of waiting involved when appearing on The Tonight Show or on any TV program in my experience). I arrive at the studio around 10AM and wait for about two hours while things get re-set on the stage. We then rehearse and sound check for about a half hour or so then wait another hour before doing a rehearsal in front of the cameras so the crew knows how they will shoot the performance. After running through the song a couple of times we then wait for about three more hours until the taping begins. During that time we are just hanging out in the dressing rooms (which are constantly being supplied with dough nuts, bagels, sandwiches, etc. The kind of stuff you graze on all day but never really get the feeling that you've actually had a meal, but I digress). During this last bout of waiting I was reclined on our couch asleep when Jay Leno barges in our room, looks at me, and says "Don't work too hard guys!". That was funny.

I get some makeup (everyone at least gets a little powder so your face doesn't shine under the lights), change, and the taping begins. I am backstage watching the Tonight Show Band when the first guest of the evening walks in front of me and waits to go on stage, it is gorgeous actress Selma Blair in a knockout! dress. My knees got a little weak she was so stunning. I'm eager to how her appearance translates to the small screen this evening.

After funny guy (and 'Weeds' co-star) Kevin Nealon it is our turn to perform. Now let me explain how this works: The Tonight Show (and most late night shows) aren't live, they are taped-to-live. This means when the taping begins the show lasts exactly how long it will last when it airs the same evening, the audience simply listens to the band during commercial breaks. So you're not on live television but the pressure is the same. I thought I might get nervous but I did not. Actually, I almost did when I looked directly to my left and saw Jay, Selma, and Kevin standing there staring at us but I quickly diverted my attention elsewhere. I do believe we doth rocked.

Afterwards I got to shake everyone's hands, I told how Selma how beautiful she was and Nealon told us how he likes to play bluegrass banjo and James Taylor stuff on the guitar.

It was a fun day, hope you all dug the show.


About this entry


19 comments:

  1. KHM 9:45 PM

    ya know---it was kind of surreal---I hardly noticed anything but you on that stage, in that studio. Look at you!

     
  2. Anonymous 4:54 AM

    Me too, you looked great with your new bass. A really cool jazz master. You always get more face time because you're right behind Steve. Dahling you looked mahvelous. I'm glad you had a good time and Selma did look stunning. LYFE Milo's Nona

     
  3. Jeffool 4:57 AM

    Damn it! I completely missed it. I'm sorry Lyman, but you're going to have to schedule your life better if I'm to catch you on TV. ;)

     
  4. KHM 6:50 AM

    Oh, Jeffool-- you can't go around missing Lyman's gigs. Especially the ones on The Tonight Show.

    Poor Jon, always fetching crap for Steve and then he never gets face time because he always his back to the crowd (and cameras).

     
  5. Lyman 7:33 AM

    I think it will be up on NBC.com sometime soon.

     
  6. Kona Gramps 9:39 AM

    It went by too fast. And I agree, not enough "you" time. Either way, I'm proud of you. You were on the Tonite Show!! That's more than many other entertainers can say. I've got it on DVD. Anyone need copies?

     
  7. Lyman 11:09 AM

    Actually Dad, I'm going to need one. My DVR cut off half the song!

     
  8. KHM 11:40 AM

    Oh, Kona Gramps!!! My DVR cut it off, too... if you wouldn't mind indulging this cousin...

     
  9. KonaGramps 11:48 AM

    Two on order - anymore more?

     
  10. KHM 11:51 AM

    Hey Lyman's Dad: I can probably trade you some older Lyman performances for the Tonight Show footage---I've got a radio interview he did in Indy just before his cd release show and a recording of his BSU band "Cootie Brown"...just let me know!

     
  11. KonaGramps 11:55 AM

    I may have the "Cootie" you're reffering to. Let me check my archives. But trade not needed. I'll send 4 copies to KeAlii and he can distribute. Copy of his portion only right? Or the entire show?

     
  12. KHM 12:19 PM

    I wasn't that into Selma and Kevin Nealon seemed to be trying too hard so just KeAli'i's portion is good. Thanks!

     
  13. KonaGramps 12:31 PM

    I agree. He's the real star. 4 copies will be at his home by Monday, 7/14.

     
  14. Anonymous 2:38 PM

    YouTube Steve Tyrell and there is a Bacharach clip about his cd I suppose. Plenty of background of cuz in that video and others.

    Paul

     
  15. Jadielady 7:07 PM

    *kicking myself* I set the DVR to record it, but we got carpet this morning so my boyfriend unplugged everything and took it upstairs before we went to bed. I'll check it out on Hulu once its there :) I'm sure you rocked!

     
  16. Jeffool 9:32 PM

    Ahhh Hulu, you've saved us again! (It's a great site.)

    Just got to: http://www.hulu.com/watch/25723/the-tonight-show-mon-jul-7-2008#s-p1-so-i0

    And hover your mouse over the video. Click on the final 'dot' on the timeline at the bottom of the video and you'll see a little picture of Jay Leno popup holding the CD. Click there and you'll get the song (after a brief commercial!)

     
  17. Nana 7:14 AM

    As everyone has said previously, you looked great. Do you get to pick where you stand? Great positioning. Had the same DVR trouble as everyone else but thanks to jeffool for the hulu info. It worked great and I got to see the whole performance. NanaKaren

     
  18. KHM 6:15 AM

    Me and the family re-watched on Hulu last night---Lyman: you are such a badass. Tyrell is a smart dude---he understands that you've got something exciting that he does not. I did dig you on the electric bass....

    Poor Kevin---he should get more camera time; I need pointers for drumming in Rock Band...

     
  19. Lyman 11:50 AM

    I just showed up and that's where my amp was so that's where I stood.