the visit, the graduation, and the time off

No sooner am I back from my busy two-week tour when my in-laws come to visit.

I think for most folks this might seem like a big drag. Luckily I get along with my in-laws quite well. We've had a pretty good time this week, my father-in-law is a big sports fan and we've been to an Angels game, a Dodgers game, and will see the Dodgers again on Monday. My first baseball games of the year, I don't know what took me so long.

But their visit is second bannana to the big news of the week. Carrie is now an official, masters-degree-holding graduate! Not only did she make it through a full-time two-year masters program while teaching 8th graders full-time, she graduated with honors as well. Do I know how to pick 'em or what?

(This reminds me of a funny coincidence. Within the past year or so it has come to my attention that I have one ex-girlfriend who is a doctor, one ex-girlfriend who is a lawyer, and I'm married to a girl with a graduate degree on her way to being a school counseler ... me? I'm a bass player. Granted I have a masters as well but it is in Jazz Performance ... really, do they make a more worthless degree? Something doesn't fit there does it?).

Next week I have nothing at all to do. After today I won't have another gig until the 15th. Boy am I ever looking forward to that time off.


About this entry


3 comments:

  1. KHM 2:10 PM

    Lym---you're right to be proud of your wife; she's accomplished so much and is now prepared for her career to really take off. The fact that you have a strong history of selecting smart women says a lot for you. The fact that the one you settled on was Carrie says that you also know you're a man who can keep up with the best and brightest.

    Congrats all around---I hope you guys do something fab, just the two of you for some rest and bonding. You both deserve so much---

     
  2. Jeff 9:11 AM

    Congratulations, Carrie!

    Don't sweat your degree, Lyman. I have a BFA in Cartooning (Comics).

     
  3. Anonymous 3:43 AM

    A degree is philosophy, yeah, that's pretty worthless. Jazz performance is so much better than philosophy! By the way, loved the show, you were fabulous! Can't wait to see you again!