Home

I've finally made it back home. Even though I've been gone for less than two weeks it seems like I've been gone for two months.

The tour was a success. I couldn't be happier with the way it went. Here's the rundown;

Wednesday after the Today show and my glimpse of Halle, I packed, had lunch, and was off to LaGuardia. I got to the airport with plenty of time to kill before my flight (this is a must when traveling with your bass, you never know how long check-in is going to be). Unfortunately my plane was delayed over an hour, I don't know if you've ever been to LaGuardia before but it's small and there's no restaurants or anything. It was a drag. I finally made it to Chicago, my sister-in-law Kelly picked me up from the airport (she really saved my ass) and we went to dinner. Steve, the Lower Level guitarist, had flown into Chi-town earlier in the day, we picked him up before heading to the bar we ate (and drank!) at. And old friend of mine met us out too. That night we stayed at Rob's (LL keyboardist). When we got back to his pad it was probably around 3 and we were a little hammered, as I recall we played some music but I can't attest to how good it actually was.

The next day Jeff (LL drummer) drove up from Kalamazoo and we rehearsed my music. The rehearsal went well and I could tell the shows were going to be good. That night we drove to Indy. I'd forgotten what a dull drive that is--geez! We got to Indy where we were greeted by my mom and my aunt Kathy. We talked for a little while and then we crashed. My mom had acquired four AeroBeds somehow. I slept on the kitchen floor ... Very un-rock star.

Friday was the day of the show. I'd learned the day before that the show was sold out. Can you believe that? My first big show as a leader and it was sold out. I'm telling you, my mom is the best PR agent anyone could hope for. We soundchecked in the afternoon then ate at the New Orleans joint a couple of doors down from the Jazz Kitchen. Some of the best food I've had in Indy, it's really great.

The show is a blur for me. I was a little nervous before playing but I think we did a good job. It felt good anyway.

Here's the thing, I NEED PICTURES!! I didn't turn on my camera once, I don't have any shots. So if you have any please email them to me (lyman_medeiros@hotmail.com).

The amount of support I got was incredible. I was amazed at how many people came out and how many CDs I signed. I wish I could've talked to more people, but you know how it is. It was a fantastic experience. After the show me and the boys headed to the bar across the street to put back a few with my cousin and my uncle. What a great time that was, I hadn't gotten a chance to hang with my cousin and his fiancee in a long, long time. I ended up drinking more than my fair share of scotch ... *whew*

That night we stayed at the fabulous Barnett residence. Jason and his wife Corinne were nice enough to let us all crash at their place. It was really nice, after waking up Saturday morning Corinne made us breakfast and we got to play with my beautiful niece. Then we were off to Michigan. Another dull drive.

Saturday was all business. By the time we got to Kalamazoo we had enough time to pick up some equipment from my old teacher, take a shower, and head to the show. The Kalamazoo show was fun. There weren't a whole lot of people there but I didn't mind after the high-pressure night before. We had a good time and got to play for 3 sets instead of one.

Directly after the show we drove back to Chicago as Steve had an early flight to catch. Rolled in to Chicago around 3:30 or so. I sacked out. Kelly took me back to the airport (saving my ass once again) and here I am.

So if you were at the show thank you so much for coming out. And if you have PICTURES, let me see 'em!


About this entry


6 comments:

  1. KHM 12:05 PM

    You all killed it in Indy; was the show great in Kalamazoo as well?

    Drew had some great photos up on his blog the morning after the show and I know Jason took a pile of them, too. Mine turned out kind of pitiful because you were SO heavily lit and my angle at the table just didn't work in our favor. What with my clapping duties and all, I just couldn't get a good shot.

    I don't know if I can ever see you play a ST show again after watching you play music you are really invested in.

    The Lower Level really came togeter, I thought. Every one of them are really talented; they contributed so much to the set. I liked Cotter's guitar taking on much of Lew's trumpet parts; it was a different kind of groove and I liked how it played out in that club.

    I'm just so glad I didn't miss THAT show, on THAT night, in THAT town. With THAT crowd.

     
  2. Drew 7:21 PM

    Lyman, as Kathy stated, I have a few photos on my blog that I thought were decent. I'm exhausted tonight from helping Jason with his moving process, but sometime this week I will put all of the photos I took (good and bad) onto a CD and mail it to you. It really was a great show. There was such a great vibe between all of you and it really came through in the music.

    BTW - I heard a rumor that Steve Tyrell will be playing here in Indy at the Music Mill later this year. Is that true?

     
  3. Lyman 8:06 PM

    It is true, we will be back at the Music Mill in October I believe.

    Truth is I've known about it for a while. But I didn't want to let everyone know until after my own show ... didn't want to give anyone the "I'll just see him when he comes back" excuse. HA!

     
  4. KHM 4:44 AM

    Timing is everything, Lym. Good call.

     
  5. Anonymous 10:36 AM

    Lyman:

    It was such a W-0-N-D-E-R-F-U-L show...so glad you had a good time and safe travels. Loved all the musicians...wish I could have gotten to know them better.

    I imagine all successful musicians have spent time sleeping on someone's kitchen floor...it will make good PR for your "before they were famous" segment!

    Much love,
    SueAnne

     
  6. KHM 12:22 PM

    hey Karen! My Mom, Mary Tracy Hurt, said she sat with you at the Howe reunion last summer---what a small wonderful world it is! I wish I'd known that when I saw you at the show!
    kat