A Fantastic Week in the City

I had a great time in New York last week. Playing at the Blue Note was really cool even if it isn't the same Blue Note that all of the jazz greats played in in the 50s and 60s and it is somewhat corperate now. It was still great. And the weather in the city was the best it's ever been on one of my visits. Sunny and cool, just like LA. People were out walking everywhere and there was a great energy. It's enough to make you want to move there ... but I know better. I've spent the winter months in NYC, and that can be hell.

My birthday was nice. The everyone in the club sang happy birthday to me and some fans got me a really nice gift (a money clip from Tiffany). Afterwards I somehow got overserved some Scotch and spent the next day nursing a birthday hangover. Carrie is throwing me a party here at the Casa De Medeiros on Friday.

But the week was great, I saw old friends and made new ones. Saw some great music, ate some great food and played to packed houses.

But no matter how much fun I have I always look forward to coming home.


About this entry


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous 4:36 AM

    Sounds like a great birthday. Hope your party Friday is a blast. It's good to celebrate one's birthday for at least a week, I do it every year. Do you have any NYC pictures to show us? LYFE Mom

     
  2. Lyman 8:50 AM

    I forgot to take the camera to NYC.

     
  3. Anonymous 9:07 AM

    P.S. #1 comment is from an unknown rival "anonymous"! This #2 comment is from "anonymous" who first appeared among the "12 comments" following your 4/15/06 "Euro-Style" posting.
    My wife Theresa was excited about revealing to you, as she sat with me, front-center of the Birdland stage, three days ago, Saturday, first show, as you were about to step up to the stage before the show, that we were the ones who saw to it that we always were first in line to get those ring-side seats at your concerts with Steve.
    Glad that you had a fantastic week in NY! We flew in from Detroit the morning of the show, flew back to Detroit the morning after the show, and, in between, enjoyed a fantastic concert which featured you singing Sinatra's part in one song. Very well done!
    Hope to see you again at Cafe Carlyle at the end of December!
    Marcel and Theresa Gagnon