Media Blitz

I've really been consuming a lot of art lately. I've been reading quite a bit, novels, tearing through GQ articles. This is kind of unusual for me. Not that I don't I read, but most of the time my reading comes accompanied by pictures and sound effects (don't laugh! comics are a valid art form, natch!!). I don't nearly read as much as my wife or my sister-in-law (I don't know anyone who reads as much as Kelly), but for whatever reason I have been reading a lot. And seeing movies as well. Here's a little rundown of what I've been in to recently:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safron Foer
One of the best books I've read in years. Creative, Modern, Post-Modern, touching, and on and on. Even better than his first book Everything is Illuminated (which is also brilliant). If you've had an inkling to read it, do so.

Less Than Zero by Brett Easton Ellis
Fantastic. If you're expecting something similar to the Robert Downey Jr. movie then brace yourself, the book is even more haunting and shocking. It's all about rich kids in LA with too much money and drugs. It might've resonated more with me since I've met a few kids who could've walked out of the pages of the book.

For Your Consideration
I love Chistopher Guest movies. Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman are some of the funniest movies you'll ever see. But For Your Consideration was a disappointment. It veers from the mockumentary format and tries to read more like a movie. But it's just not as funny as the other outings. The cast has gotten so enormous its like no one has any time to be funny. But if you're a fan of his other movies I'm sure it will keep you amused.

The Departed
Best movie I've seen this year. Incredible. It can stand right along Goodfellas as one of Scorceses' best, and that is saying quite a bit.


The Fountain comes out today, I'll probably see it tomorrow or Friday. I'm also in the middle of reading Fight Club again. Big news, I'm going to be on the CBS Early Show this Saturday with the bossman. I'll let you know more details as they come. Happy Thanksgiving Eve everyone.


p.s.
If you haven't switched to Blogger Beta yet, do so. the new spellcheck is reason enough.


About this entry


4 comments:

  1. Special K 8:49 AM

    Isn't the end of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close a killer? God, that was an amazing book.

    I have a feeling you would like this show at the Met with some German Expressionists. It's called "Glitter and Doom." The Cezanne to Picasso show is also supposed to be very good.

     
  2. Lyman 2:42 PM

    thanks for the recommendation, I'm on it

     
  3. KHM 4:12 PM

    I recently finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and concur. It was breathtaking, so incredibly artful. It gave to me "heavy boots" which is one of the most charming euphemisms ever. Plus, there's "Jose!". I loved the book.

    Less Than Zero is stunning---such incredible insight. Ellis is a true master. I'm currently reading, "The Inheritance of Loss" by Karen Desai...it won the Man Booker Award this year. It might be more of a chick book than you'd appreciate but it also strikes me as an incomparably beautifully written book. What are you on to now?

    You know I love those Christopher Guest/Eugene Levy movies so thanks for letting me know this one doesn't measure up.

    Gobble, gobble, baby. LYFE---

     
  4. Lyman 12:49 PM

    I'm reading Fight Club again at the moment. Haven't made up my mind about what to get in to next.