Second Home

Things are going well here in NYC. I'm starting to get in to a rhythm that makes it feel more like home than it has in the past. Before when we were playing at the Regency for a month the neighborhood was way too ritzy and I always felt like some tourist visiting for a while and pretending like I was rich. Last year during the Carlyle gig I stayed in Midtown right by Rockefeller Center which turned me into a jaded New Yorker really quickly. I was bugged by all of the crowds and there was nothing 'homey' about the neighborhood. All the businesses were there for tourists, grocery stores and dry cleaners were blocks and blocks away.

This time things are more convenient. The area is vibrant but far away from the insanity of midtown. There's a cleaners down stairs (Miss Lin already knows all of our names and asks how are performances are going before charging a ludicrous $16 for dry cleaning a suit with a smile on her face), a grocery store a block away, and a subway stop quite close which makes it much easier for me to bring my bass home and practice. I've joined a nearby gym and have a little routing going, work out, practice, errands, gig, etc.

Plus this neighborhood is filthy with dogs. Makes me wish Murph-Deezy could visit like he did last year. He did well in the city and had a good time here. There's a restaurant called Fetch a block away where everyone goes with their dogs so I see so a lot of them every day.

But as good as things are here I am really looking forward to flying home to LA Sunday morning. It's been way too long since I've seen my wife's belly.


About this entry


2 comments:

  1. Special K 11:26 AM

    I google-mapped your location - wow. I always wanted to have the following conversation:

    Schlub: Where do you live?
    Me: The upper east side.

    Oh, to be in walking distance of the Met.

     
  2. Lyman 11:37 AM

    Heh, yes it's pretty cool. Altough I'm not sure if where we live is the Upper East Side or Spainish Harlem. It's certainly very foo-foo which is what most people think of when they hear Upper East.