Movies

After seeing yet another terrible romantic comedy that my wife dragged me to I've decided to give up on the entire genre. This weekend's celluloid torture du jour was Music and Lyrics. I thought since the premise of this one was songwriting that it might be able to amuse me, but no. I'm serious I think the only good romantic comedy I've seen is When Harry Met Sally, everything after that has been crap. And every time I'm a good sport and optimistic that maybe this will be the one romantic comedy to go against the grain and be worth the hour-and-a-half of my time I spent watching it ... no good deed goes unpunished.

So while the movie left me pining for the good films I've seen over the past year and with the Oscars right around the corner I present my top 10 films of 2006. Carrie doesn't think that I've seen ten movies over the past year, it seems that sitting through Must Love Dogs with her isn't enough and I don't see as my movies as she would like. But after some recollecting I have seen over ten movies, and here are the best complete with one-line Entertainment Weekly-like reviews:

10. Hostel-Blood, guts, tits, and ass ... campy gross-out horror lives!
9. Inside Man-Denzel and Clive are studs.
8. Little Miss Sunshine-A fun movie but not as great as everyone is making it out to be. Did every character have to be so over-the-top?
7. An Inconvenient Truth-Al is speaking the truth, everyone needs to listen! (although I could've done without all of the thoughtful, brooding shots of him at his laptop)
6. Talledega Nights-"I like to think of Jesus with giant eagle's wings singing lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with an angel band, and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk."
5. Borat-Actually lived up to all of the hype.
4. Science of Sleep-I'm a sucker for Gondry.
3. Children of Men-Would've been my #1 if it had been released in one of the past few years.
2. Pan's Labyrinth-Unique, creative, and innovative storytelling.
1. The Departed-This is what so many movies try to be. It's an epic and Shakespearean tragedy with excellent acting, directing, and writing.

Those top three will be classics in my mind. And there's still a lot of films I haven't seen. Great year for movies.

(And if you haven't noticed, there's a new look at IMDB, check it out)


About this entry


3 comments:

  1. KHM 5:44 AM

    I think I've seen three non-kiddie animated features this year:

    Little Miss Sunshine--with Rob on our anniversary getaway. I thought it exemplified perfectly the standard every movie should try to hit. Entertaining for sure but not great.

    An Inconvenient Truth--well, the statistician in me bristled at some of Gore's presentation and I ended up pretty pissed. But global warming is a big problem and most viewers won't question what I did so I'll let it slide.

    Talladaga Nights---a comedy that was actually funny throughout. I hardly ever enjoy feature releases that are comedies. I put this one up with Napoleon Dynamite---it is freakin' hilarious.

    Me and Rob don't see certain kinds of movies together. I don't do Action/Adventure, he doesn't do costume dramas. And neither of us do romantic comedy or SciFi. Leaves the pickings kind of slim---remind me to tell you some time of the Valentine's Day when we saw "Traffic"...

     
  2. Anonymous 6:17 AM

    Dear Nephew.....the best movie I saw was Nanny MePhee....I'm not sure if 2006 and I'm sure not nominated.....hahaha Rent it for the long nights of bouncing baby boy. Pkg. on the way. Enjoy.

    Love you, Aunt Carol

     
  3. Anonymous 6:18 AM

    McPhee.......