Big News

In another one of the odd coincidences that seem to permeate my life, while I was on the road in Manila I received an email from a guy in Tokyo who told me he was interested in licensing my recording of "Feel Like Making Love" for a compilation he is putting together for his record label. I told him I would be in Tokyo in a matter of days and invited him out to the Blue Note to see the show and chat about it. He's a really nice guy who is starting a new label licensing jazz, bossa, funk, etc. in Japan, this compilation is going to be one of his first releases. It is a collection of tunes with the word 'love' in the title, he told me my version of "Feel Like Making Love" is the best he heard. He also said he thinks the entire album could sell in Japan and asked me to mail him a copy to give to a friend of his who works at Tower Records over there. With any luck "The Funky Supervillain" will get distribution over there and I'll be a big star in Japan (I'm not holding my breath for the latter, but the former is a definite possibility). I'm pretty jazzed about it.


In other news, I'm finally on one of Tyrell's records, "Back to Bacharach" hits stores at the end of the month. I'm on two tracks; "Reach Out For Me" and "Always Something There To Remind Me." I share bass duties with the legendary Will Lee from the Late Night with David Letterman band amongst others. I think its a solid record and is going to do really well for Steve.

Speaking of, we are going to be on the Tonight Show. Mark you calendars and set the TiVo, the show will be taping and airing on July 7. This will be one of the biggest TV audiences I've ever played for (my people at Dean are going to be pretty happy about that). I'll be sure to post reminders leading up to the show.

Also on tap; I'm planning a hip-hop/jazz show here in LA with my DJ friend Ethos. It will feature a set by my group, a set by him showcasing some MCs, then a freestyle set with everyone onstage jamming together. We haven't nailed down a venue or date yet but hopefully we will soon.

That's how my summer is shaping up!


About this entry


2 comments:

  1. KHM 9:55 AM

    Dude! Awesome-ness abounds! Rock on, FSV! How cool would it be to have a slammin' career in Japan and get to enjoy the fruits of it in LA without all the star-insanity of the US?

    SWEEEEET. Very happy for you!

     
  2. Daddy 4:10 AM

    This is all amazing news. I am happy for you.
    --patrick