Career Day

Because I'm such a swell and helpful husband I agreed to help Carrie out at her school's career day yesterday. All I had to do was show up and tell a few classes about my job and what it is I do. Sounds easy enough until you remember these kids are apathetic 12-year-olds who are prone to blank stares and daydreaming. I was afraid I'd talk for a few minutes then sit in silence gazing at a bunch of uninterested adolescents.

Well, it wasn't so bad. Only one out of the four classes was a problem. It's hard explaining what it is I do to adults let alone kids so I'm not too sure I really conveyed my career adequately but most of the students at least seemed interested. Here are some of the funnier questions I fielded after explaining to the kids what it means to be a professional musician:

"So ... do you give concerts?"

"Do you have to pay to go all of these places?"

"Have you been to Amsterdamn? Did you get high? Do you do drugs?"

"How much money do you make?" (asked by every single class)

"Where did you buy your shoes?"

I had an okay time and if I ever get talked in to doing it again I might just take my bass so I can play to eat up some time. But I guess I did some good; one of the teachers told Carrie today that she had two kids who heard my talk come to her and say they wanted to see their Guidance Counselor so they could take Band next year. That's pretty cool.


About this entry


6 comments:

  1. Jeffool 11:40 PM

    >>"Have you been to Amsterdamn? Did you get high? Do you do drugs?"

    You rock star.'

    Also, yeah, that is pretty kick ass man. You just changed the world.

     
  2. Lyman 7:52 AM

    I wouldn't go that far ...

     
  3. KHM 11:35 AM

    Have you been to Amsterdam? hilarious! That kid was 12? Man---they know waaaay too much!

    And you know---you always DO have the best shoes.

    Definitely take the bass (the electric) next time. They'll be into it.

     
  4. Special K 11:49 AM

    That's so cool you inspired a couple of kids to take band!

     
  5. Carrie 2:43 PM

    Thank you honey! If you had bailed, I would have had to do 4 talks instead of 2, and those kids are sick to listening to me. I think bringing the bass next year is a great idea; I'm glad to hear you haven't banned career day like field trips.

     
  6. KonaGramps 10:48 AM

    When you go to the next class be sure to wear eyeliner, lipstick, metal spiked wrist bands and an orange mohawk.