New Orleans

The entire situation in New Orleans is a tragedy. I'm sure everyone feels my sadness and empathy towards those people stranded in terrible conditions without food or water, clothes or shelter.

The government can send tens upon tens of thousands of troops to the Middle East in a matter of days but they can't get people out of New Orleans or get food in? That is disgusting, simply disgusting. It is apalling how long it took troops to get rations into an American city. And the tales of death, murder, and rape are sickening. And true to form with this administration's actions the rich of the city were tended to before the masses huddled at the convention center and SuperDome (see above article).

CNN paints a rosier picture. But this is only the beginning. This tragedy is going to have a far-reaching empact. It brings up a lot of issues concerning class and race discrimination in our country and in our government. I'd bring up some initial thoughts I have about it but I might sound like a raving conspiracy theorist and I don't want to do that. There are enough raving lunatics in the White House right now.

I haven't figured out a way I can help, if you have a suggestion let me know. I just had to comment some how.


About this entry


4 comments:

  1. Lena 11:12 AM

    Man, that's another thing. I've been watching lots of post-hurricane coverage. The more I watch, the more useless I feel. I just hope with time everything gets better for these folks and the regions.

     
  2. KHM 11:07 PM

    Hey Lym---its one hell of a tragedy, for sure; in many dimensions. I don't like the feeling of not being able to make it better, either.

    We can't undo any of this but maybe this will serve to upset the political status-quo of these post-Clinton years. Is this compassionate conservatism? Man---don't want no more of that.

    I've been listening to John Hiatt's "Feels Like Rain" over and over...

     
  3. Lyman 10:54 AM

    I hope you're right, this needs to be a wakeup call.

    Whatis the disease situation going to be like in the coming months for those people?

     
  4. KHM 1:28 PM

    well, that's a great question. After Hurricane Andrew in '92, we didn't really find much other than mental health issues. Then again---those people weren't standing in fetid water or sheltering in a filthy colliseum among corpses.

    But I'll keep you informed. I had to cancel my trip to Seattle to be on stand by here; we have some evacuees that I'll be monitoring in shelters and its likely that I'll do either a 30 or 60 day tour on the Gulf Coast to support their shelter work.

    Love you. I have some awesome new cds I'm digging. Wynton Marsalis is playing our local jazzfest tonight---for FREE man!