Easter

I hope everyone had a good Easter. Ours was nice. As you probably know I really like to cook and am always trying new dishes. Yesterday I bought an 8 lb. Pork Butt (butt being the shoulder actually, not the swine's posterior) and roasted overnight for about 8 hours. We went to church (Milo was adorable, pics coming soon on the baby blog) and afterwards I made some baked macaroni and cheese with panko bread crumb toping to go along with the roast. I'd say the meal was quite successful (although I'm usually pretty critical of my cooking and looking for ways to make it better next time; the macaroni and cheese needed more seasoning and I started cutting the pork from the wrong side) although it was a lot of food for the two of us. We're going to be having pulled pork sandwiches for a couple of weeks (with bbq sauce and cole slaw ... ohhh yeah). We waited too long inviting friends over and everyone already had plans.

Church was fun. We went to this Methodist place in Sherman Oaks we had been to years ago. We actually found the place a bit boring and stuffy when we first went there but the church we like is so huge they have to hold their Easter services at the Hollywood Bowl and we didn't feel like messing with traffic so we went back to the church in Sherman Oaks. Last time we were there the pastor was an older white gentleman, well in attempt to liven up the place (I'm guessing here) the United Methodist Church had replaced him with a young black pastor. The congregation had a lot more color and the service was fun and lively. Quite a change from last time.

Here's a pic of dinner, if anyone wants a pork sandwich feel free to stop by:


About this entry


5 comments:

  1. kbmulder 10:37 AM

    Yum! Wish I could stop by and sample some of the pork butt. Thanks for telling us, I thought the butt was the butt. I am impressed with your cooking skills.

    Sounds like church was fun too. Prince of Peace was a full house, I had to sit in the lobby!!

     
  2. KHM 5:01 PM

    The pork looks tasty, baby. Was it tender and juicy? Are you going to try to whip up some NC-style vinegar sauce for it??? Ohhh. I drool...

    Many homemade Mac and Chese recipes are quite custard-like---is that what yours was? I've made it that way a couple of times but my kids (ignoramuses that they are) prefer the Kraft orange stuff so I don't bother anymore...

    Love the dishes; my best friend from the Tallahassee years had that pattern. Its lovely. I'm glad you guys had a happy holiday.

     
  3. Lyman 12:59 AM

    The pork was beyond tender, like melt in your mouth tender. I slathered the roast with a garlic, peppercorn, and clove paste before putting it in the oven. We're leaving for Vegas soon I didn't bother making a sauce today, I just went to the grocery and bought a good spicy bbq. But I also bought some red cabbage cole slaw to put on the sandwiches ... MAN them shits is good!

    I don't know if I'd call the macaroni and cheese custard style, I started with a roux and made the cheese sauce, the recipe only called for one egg. The sauce also had mustard powder, bay, and paprika as well. It's all gone now.

     
  4. KHM 12:27 PM

    a man who makes a roux is my kind of man. Daring.

    Let 'em roll in Vegas; its a great gig for you guys. Sorry about the strip clubs and poker tables...

     
  5. Lyman 12:33 PM

    yeah, well ... I guess I'm like grown up n' stuff ...