Types of work

The little tour went well. The festival in Cleveland was a lot of fun and Botti's band really put on a great show. As far as gigs that touring jazz musicians have, festivals are my favorite. There are basically four types of gigs we do; theaters, clubs, festivals, and privates.

Theaters-Theaters are what we typically do with Tyrell these days. Theaters usually have a stage crew with a soundman and lighting guy. Theaters are nice because you typically only play one set and dinner is catered. But the crowds are older so sometimes the show doesn't have a lot of energy. Plus since they are usually one-night engagements doing a tour of theaters means a lot of traveling.

Clubs-Jazz clubs are fun because it's more of an intimate setting and there's usually a younger, hipper crowd ready to chat and have a drink with you after you play. The club usually serves food which is nice but it isn't always free. And you always do two sets at a club which can be exhausting. There's usually only one soundman and if he doesn't know what he's doing the sound can be a total drag. But playing at a club is usually a multi-night engagement so you're in one place for a while and have your daytimes off.

Festivals-My favorite. The sound and crew are usually tight because they are dealing with so many acts and there's a lot of hospitality for the artists. The best thing is hanging out with the other musicians who are there and seeing other shows for free.

Privates-The absolute worst. These can be anything form huge corporate parties to weddings to a rich lady's birthday party. You're usually treated like you're hired help (enter through the kitchen, dry sandwiches for dinner, wear a tux, etc.) and no one gives a crap about the music; the audience is more concerned with selling some real estate than checking out the tunes. But they usually pay the most so they are a necessary evil.

So we did a private in St Louis on Friday and a festival in Cleveland on Saturday. Now nobody will be confused when I refer to my gigs.


About this entry


13 comments:

  1. Anonymous 7:56 AM

    Last year you toured festivals through Europe all of July. Any rumours to doing that again? Can't wait till you guys get here in June. LYFE Mom

     
  2. Anonymous 8:43 AM

    Not directly related to your post, but how many instruments have/do you play? We are transferring our VHS tapes to DVD and in doing that, I believe that I have seen you playing 3 different instruments at either Fulton or BD.

     
  3. KHM 9:50 AM

    Don't you have to be rather careful about saying you're playing a bunch of privates?

    Ciao, baby. Welcome back to your home for a bit.

    I thought for sure Paulie wasn't going to make it back to New Jersey on last night's episode(DOH! I first typed "Jew Nersey--!), didn't you?

     
  4. Lyman 10:00 AM

    No Europe tour this year. None planned anyway.

    I play the upright bass and electric bass but that's about it. I can play a little guitar and I played bassoon and sax in the past but I haven't touched either of those in years.

    I thought Paulie was going to get whacked. Well written episode but I expected a lot more drama from these final episodes. Looks like they just putting finishing touches on all of these characters (Janice and Bobby the first ep., Chrissy and Johnny Sacks the second, and Paulie and Junior last night) but not really resolving anything yet.

     
  5. Anonymous 12:03 PM

    Don't forget 3 years of piano at Ball State.

     
  6. kbmulder 12:39 PM

    Thanks for the notes on gigs. Good to know.

    I thought Paulie was going to get it too. In fact, these few episodes have been really calm throughout making me really nervous because I can't see the violence coming. Very tricky Sopranos!!

    Kathy, I thought the same thing about privates. He he!

     
  7. Lyman 2:47 PM

    you guys are pervs,

    and who know about me taking piano? Mom?

    Just because I can make sounds on the piano doesn't mean I can really play it

     
  8. KHM 7:46 PM

    definitely a perv. I don't have a problem with that. So's your mother. And mine.

    I think they're just laying the groundwork for a big "who shot JR" kind of finale. Tony's had enough. That scene on the boat was te-ense from where I was seated. Have you yet seen the season/episode where (I didn't pick this name!) Big Pussy met his end?

    And Uncle Junior---he keeps getting more crazy! I didn't think it was possible!

     
  9. Lyman 9:56 PM

    I didn't see that one, only been watching the past couple of seasons.

     
  10. Anonymous 4:29 AM

    If you get an "A" 3 years in a row on piano you can play piano. Plus I have heard you since then play Carrie's piano. You may not be
    Ray Charles but you can "play" the piano. Plus I am a perv too. LYFE Mom

     
  11. Lyman 8:05 AM

    No I can't. Trust me.

     
  12. Special K 11:48 AM

    I make sounds on piano. blink blonk blonk.

     
  13. KHM 3:23 PM

    Big Pussy took a fishing trip with all the boys from Satriani's... I thought Paulie was going to move in with him...