Lyman's Social Rantings Pt. 1: "It is what it is"

(in this ongoing series our writer looks at different social quirks and practices that annoy the shit out of him)

Has anyone else noticed the phrase "It is what it is" creeping into the social lexicon? I've been hearing it from friends and peers for a little while now but lately I've heard it on TV and talk radio.

What does "It is what it is" mean? At first you think it's some zen-like revelation that all things are simply how they are and we are supposed to find peace with whatever it is we are being told. But that's not what it means. You know what it means?

Absolutely nothing.

"It it what it is" is probably the most verbose way of making no point whatsoever. It is total bullshit. Take notice next time you hear it; it usually always follows a question of which the person has a) no clue how to answer or b) wants to absolve himself of any culpability regarding said inquiry.

"Why aren't we getting fed on this gig?"
"It is what it is."

"What do you mean I'm not getting paid as much as you originally said?"
"It is what it is."

"How the hell can you say Bush didn't purposefully mislead the American public about Iraq?"
"It is what it is."

Please folks, I implore you, if you're guilty of using "It is what it is" stop right now! Resist next time the "It is what it is" urge strikes you. Take time, actually form a thought instead of saying it. The world will be a better place for it.


About this entry


3 comments:

  1. kbmulder 5:53 AM

    Oh! An ongoing series. This is exciting! I must admit, I haven't hear this phrase much in Indy. Maybe that's because I hang out with too many librarians and they ALWAYS know the right answer:) I'll count myself lucky!

     
  2. Jeff 11:30 AM

    I use the phrase once in a while at work. A client gives us a low-res jpg to blow up to a poster. I call him up and ask him for a better file.

    "Can't you make it better?"

    "No, it is what it is. There's nothing anyone can do."

     
  3. Anonymous 4:36 AM

    I hear it everyday from one of my coworkers. In the insurance claims industry, you really SHOULDN'T say, "It is what it is", but he seems to find a way to use it in his daily language. Along with ebonics - not a great way to start a claim off or attempt to settle a claim. It infuriates me that he talks like that. I don't understand what he is saying and I know the people on the other line don't get it either. What the hell does "It is what it is" mean?!?! NOTHING! Lyman you are so right. Love you! Thanks for a great topic!