The Spectrum of Shopping

Yesterday Carrie and I broke down and got a Costco card. Most folks in LA have one but I'm always leery of a place where you have to purchase a card just to browse around. But with all of the diapers and formula cans we're going to be buying it's a good idea.

How many people need crap this big? I was in need of hot sauce and all I found was packages of two quart-sized bottles taped together. What am I going to do with that? Sure it might look like a good idea, but when you consider how much money your losing through you mortgage using up storage space for Tobasco bottles that will last you seven years, it's really not a good purchase at all. You can't buy anything reasonably sized there. But I will say they have some good DVD prices and it seems like their meat department was pretty good.

From corporate monolith to small-time sellers, we left Costco and headed for the weekly Farmer's Market in Northridge. Carrie and I decided that we're going to buy all of our produce there this summer. They have great quality organic stuff (cheese too) not to mention food stands (shave ice!) and rides. Milo had a good time eating cotton candy and caramel apples.

Speaking of Milo, he's going to have surgery soon. Carrie and I have spent 40% of our lives over the past couple of months picking up his pacifier and putting it in his mouth only to watch him spit it out whereupon we retrieve the nummy and put it back in to his mouth only to watch him spit it out again whereupon we retrieve the nummy and put it back in to his mouth only to watch him spit it out again whereupon we retrieve the nummy ... you get the picture. To help with this desperate situation we've decided to have his pacifier surgically attached to his mouth. It will make eating and breathing a bit more complicated, but it sure will make life a little less redundant.

New Top Five up. Go dig it.


About this entry


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous 4:50 AM

    P.S. Grandma says start sticking that thumb in his mouth and you will no longer have to pick up those plugs. Once they know they can do it they can calm themselves down. You were one of the all time great thumb suckers and started about 6 weeks old and I told you that you had to stop or you couldn't go to school and you stopped the night before your first day in kindergarten. It's a good thing. LYFE

     
  2. kbmulder 6:53 AM

    You almost gave me a heart attack when you said the little guy needs surgery. Whew! I'm glad I read on to see that it was a joke.

    I sucked my left thumb until I was in 1st grade. My cousin put cigarette ashes on my thumb to try to get me to stop. All that made me do was eat cigarette ashes, and I can still remember the taste. Yuck!!! (where were our parents?)

    A man at church (Stan Miller for those who knew him) used to ask me what flavor my thumb was every week. Usually it was cherry.

    Ah, a fond walk down thumb-sucking memory lane. You have my support Milo!

     
  3. KHM 7:13 PM

    Thumb-sucker over here, too.

    I had dreams of engineering (I mean, really, I dreamt this) a binky strap that was made sort of from rubber bands and paper clips; the bands would be secured over the ears and back of neck... yeah...I didn't do it, though.

    I encouraged thumb sucking. My kids did NOT go for it. I chased the pacifiers for a looooong time.

     
  4. Jason 6:54 AM

    Anywhere I can get a 5lb can of sausage gravy, I'm in!!