Carlyle Week 5

Work went really well this week. I like the set we've been playing (it includes two tunes I sing on, not bad) and the crowds have been really enthusiastic. No big celebrity sightings save for Fran Davis, Miles Davis's widow.

Last night the drummer and I went downtown after the gig to see my buddy Lew Soloff play (Lew is on my CD, now available). The resturaunt he was playing at was fantastic, the food was really good. The musicians were incredible as well. It was a great hang. Afterwards I walked outside to catch a cab home and found that it was snowing. It made me realize that I haven't seen snow for a couple of years. Then I was reminded of my very first year in Indiana. I have very few memories of my early childhood, but this one stands out. I was in kindergarten one day when it started snowing. My teacher realized I had just moved to Hawaii and asked me if I had ever seen snow. I had not to my recollection and I stood by the window watching the snowfall as she walked outside and scooped up a glassful. She brought it back in for me to look at.

These days I'm glad I don't live around snow, too much hassle for me. But walking through the snow last night I realized what warm memories I have of the stuff, in particular my grandmother.

... a very nice way to end the week


About this entry


5 comments:

  1. KHM 3:02 PM

    we've had some snowfall in DC this weekend as well. I love snow when I don't have to be out in it---so this qualifies. I love Manhattan in winter---pure magic.

    The people who have left us live on through these kinds of remembrances. This time of year is full of your Grandmother's joy. For all of us.

     
  2. Anonymous 5:56 PM

    Dear Nephew....
    Mary Walker, the queen of "snow angels". Thank you for sharing your memories. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.
    Love you, Aunt Carol

     
  3. Lyman 10:36 PM

    magic? for sure

     
  4. Anonymous 6:15 AM

    A snow memory of mine about you is that day when you came home from school grandma bundled you up and sent you outside to play in it. A few minutes later you knocked on the door and when she asked what was wrong you said "I don't know how to play in the snow" and she went outside and showed you how to make snow balls and snow angels.

    Magic? Yes, snow, music, people and the magic of Christmas everywhere. Embrace it while you can.

    LYFE

    Mom

     
  5. Anonymous 11:24 AM

    Hope you are feeling better!! Hard to knock those colds.. too bad you aren't home, the hospitable Mr Weetie would take real good care of you. You know how he is. We enjoyed seeing you at the Jazz Kitchen in Indy. Hope you will return soon.

    Watched the Letterman show. I am thinking it was Lyman and Regis, then Lyman and the Donald. Recorded it and replayed it for everyone that would look. You looked absolutely wonderful.

    Christmas is a great time to reflect and especially for you and your family. Remember the snow angel story? I am sure the Grandma is watching over you,your mom and the rest of the family.

    Christmas and snow - the magic of life.

    Love you guys, Mr. & Mrs Weetie a/k/a Richard & Diana