Letterman-BEHIND THE SCENES!

It seems like everyone wants some details about the Letterman show. I'm afraid there's not too much to tell. We rehearsed in the afternoon at a studio that the drummer and guitarist own (right across from the Ed Sullivan Theater). Regis showed up and we ran through the songs a couple of times. He was nice and funny and gregarious. You can tell that he's a really good guy and that there's no Hollywood bullshit in him. After that we went to the stage and soundchecked. It was really cold. It was funny seeing Biff the stage manager, he seems like a nice guy as well. Everyone there was all business and we cranked out the soundcheck.

We waited for about an hour watching the taping from our green room (we had a different green room than the other geusts). Then we went to the stage where we were joined by the Donald (he didn't show up to the rehearsals and everyone was worried that he'd mess up the perforance, but he was fine). We did the song (my sister in law Kelly likened it as an "odd post modern performance" ... I totally agree) and everyone left. That's about it. Didn't meet anyone else really (besides Biff). I'd already known Paul and the other guys in the band as they are friends with Tyrell and his crew.

And I did buy a coke from Rupert at the Hello Deli.

I have to admit it's pretty cool doing shows like this where there are a bunch of fans standing around and you get to walk right through them into the stage door. Makes you feel more important even if you are just the bass player.


About this entry


9 comments:

  1. Domenick Bartuccio 6:32 AM

    You know how many times I was on television? None. You are not "just a bass player" You are a frickn' bass player!

     
  2. Lyman 7:45 AM

    ha! you're too kind Dom

     
  3. Anonymous 9:48 AM

    I'm going to have to get all of my many TV clips that you were in and have them put on DVD from my VHS tapes so they will be around for posterity. I of course watched them while I was waiting for you on Dave. You were in the perfect spot, on camera most of the time.

    LYFE, Mom

     
  4. KHM 5:39 AM

    One of my convalescence projects is going to be to transfer all of the clips I've accumulated onto DVDs. I'll share copies.

    Love you.
    Kat

     
  5. KHM 7:28 AM

    I've finally been able to listen to the disc start to finish. Its fabulous, Lym. Its great music, easy to listen to while still being interesting and "smart". It has great groove and a lot of respect for every voice. I'm going to keep you on my list of "artists to keep an eye on" LOL. I'm nearly speechless I'm so proud of you. And "Such a Beautiful Girl" is so wonderful it almost makes me cry.

    Love and Groove---
    Kathy

     
  6. Lyman 10:17 AM

    awwwwwww, shucks

    thank you!

     
  7. Bret Taylor 3:15 PM

    Hey, bass players are important.

    Except when you're playing "When Doves Cry".

     
  8. Lyman 10:01 AM

    Or if you are the White Stripes

     
  9. Bret Taylor 2:35 AM

    This isn't gonna be where people start dissin' Meg, is it?