"Nice Voice"

There is a duet I've been singing with Steve in the show lately. It's not a big vocal part for me or anything, but it is a lot of fun to sing and the tune ("The One I Love Belongs to Somebody Else") is a good onep; he sings it with Frank Sinatra Jr. on the record. It is in a good key for me so I do a pretty good job singing it.

Well I've had a lot of people come up to me this week and tell me what a great voice I have and how I should be singing more.

Great, right? Wrong!

These people usually say NOTHING about my bass playing. It's like, I play bass every beat of every song but when I sing a few lines in one of the tunes, that is what they notice. It's kind of annoying, really. What is it about singing? Playing the bass is a lot cooler than singing, for sure.

I thought everyone knew that.


About this entry


7 comments:

  1. KHM 10:36 AM

    Well, its a universal problem---the guy singing always gets the attention. Imagine how Eddie Van Halen feels about it!

    But truthfully, I think lots of folks take bass for granted---most people probably feel it more than they hear it just owing to the simple physical properties of low range sound. But take the bass away and we all feel it right away and object---notice how many Americanos just can't deal with musical forms without a bass line, like most Asian, and especially Indian, music.

    We have to have the groove and you definitely pump it out. Still, I can't get very far from hearing you on Ode to Chubbadootze---what a hoot! My Dad and Rob love it, too.
    Kisses,
    kat

     
  2. Anonymous 11:56 AM

    well, LM, i still think you should get happy and sing "moondance" with me and jill.... and wear that sexy zipper tie!!!!

    as i type, Chris Botti is playing the National Athem before the Pittsburgh/Denver game. Chalk one up for the instrumentalists!!!!

     
  3. Lena 1:05 PM

    You play the bass?


    I kid, I kid.

     
  4. Lyman 7:48 PM

    "Moondance"?

    Never heard of that tune ;) ....

     
  5. Anonymous 6:39 AM

    Everyone thinks they could be a judge on American Idol, they know what they like with someone's voice. Most people probably just hear music as a whole instead of the individual instruments cookin' as a whole. Like Kathy said though they sure wouldn't like the music if you weren't groovin' on the bass. I like that song on cd, I'm sure you sound better thank Frank Jr. too. LYFE Mom

     
  6. Anonymous 8:23 AM

    Hello Nephew............I agree with all the comments....
    Love you, Aunt Carol

     
  7. nikki 3:08 PM

    it's wierd, but in the black community, the guy playing the bass gets the most play. i'm not sure why, probably because alot of soul music has a strong bass foundation to it.