V

I finally saw V last night. Have to admit I was a little disappointed. I should've seen it coming, I was way too attached to the original comic book. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a really good movie. But it pulled too many punches. I don't mind changing the story around, that is a necessary evil when adapting a story (I loved how they attributed the futuristic fascist government to the US's current war). And while some of the changes seemed small they really changed the original intent of the comic and messed with the themes.

Before the movie was released the author of the comic Alan Moore asked that his name be removed from the movie entirely. Now I see why.

But don't get me wrong. I highly recommend it, it's great. I just had really high hopes for it.

As I left the theater I thought to myself 'whatever happened to original ideas? Why does everything have to be adapted? Give me Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Syriana, Being John Malkovich, Fargo, etc. Comic book adaptations, book adaptations, biopics, etc. ... They usually disappoint.

But a little birdie sent me the Capote DVD yesterday. I'll reserve judgment until I watch it ...


About this entry


3 comments:

  1. KHM 12:19 PM

    tweet! Kelley and I are watching my own copy right now. I still love it. And if you follow it up by reading "In Cold Blood", you'll double your appreciation...

    big smooches--
    kathy

     
  2. nikki 3:45 PM

    i never read the comic book so this will be brand new to me. i think i'll read the comic book afterwards, though.

     
  3. Lyman 4:41 PM

    Good thinking. Seeing the movie first is probably a better idea. You'll appreciate the comic even more (and it won't be as hard to follow the storyline).

    cute new pic btw nikki