New Music


I was cruising iTunes yesterday and to my surprise I discovered a new record with the one and only Christian McBride on it, it's Pat Metheny's new disc. Christian's been playing with his trio for a while now and I thought they'd never record, but here it is. It is fantastic, really. You'll love it. The tunes are great, the drummer Antonio Sanchez (who I've seen with Danilo Perez on more than one occasion) is amazing. I can't say enough about this record.

I saw There Will Be Blood last week. Believe all the hype you've heard it is a landmark film with an astonishing performance by Danie Day-Lewis. The score was particularly moving. I'm not a big score fan and I think this might be the first one I've ever purchased. It was written by Radiohead guitarist Johnny Greenwood and it is a fantastic accomplishment. There are some classical themes set against a modern orchestral palate. It is an integral part of the movie.

What have you been listening to lately?


About this entry


6 comments:

  1. KHM 9:34 AM

    My most recent post is also a "new music" one; check it out.

    Nice catch on the Metheny cd, boy. Even though I just admonished Rob we should hang on to our cash for the next couple of weeks, I might need to check it. I have to say, its a surprising pairing to me.

    And I've got a "date" to see "There Will be Blood" next week, so thanks for the encouragement!

     
  2. KHM 9:40 AM

    Curious: have you given much consideration to the Metheny/Mehldau Quartet recording? I'm wondering if its worth having?

     
  3. Lyman 1:32 PM

    I don't have that one but everyone I know says its fantastic.

     
  4. KHM 12:57 PM

    Alrighty; I don't think you've checked my music post and I've moved along so I had talked about Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters which is very impressive and lovely. I also mentioned Terence Blanchard's A Tale of God's Will (A Requiem for Katrina) which while being very good, it sounds too score-like to me so its and odd coincidence of postings we have here.

    But today? Today I can't get Prince out of my head...act your age, not your shoe size...

     
  5. Lyman 11:25 PM

    can't believe he won the grammy!

     
  6. KHM 5:53 AM

    ain't it sweet! His acceptance was so generous, lovely and well-taken--makes him all the more worthy...