Skittish/Rockity Roll Posted by Hello

This is a two-disc set of a couple of records he did independently, one while he was still with his old band (and all-time favorite of Lyman’s) Soul Coughing. And it is GREAT as well. It’s very stripped down, his vocals are more rough around the edges and the instrumentation is sparse (most of the time it’s just him and a guitar). It is Doughty’s songwriting at it’s very essence: clever lyrics and relentless melodies.

I also have a live disc of Soul Coughing’s coming. Maybe after that I’ll snap out of my Mike Doughty phase. Listening to his stuff so much combined with Rachael Yamagata’s disc is really eating up my listening time. You know these records have to be good if they’re bumping all of my jazz and funk from heavy rotation.


About this entry


0 comments: