Sonic Tonic

Ron Blake is the truth y'all.



I finally got around to thourhoughly chekcing out this record and let me tell you, it's some bad shit. Like I said before I was really anxious for this record to come out because Mechelle Ndegeocello produced it. Then when I went to pick it up at Ameoba they told me it was filed in the pop section as opposed to the jazz section. Then I was really curious. I was expecting a crossover-type of record with a lot of R&B influence, maybe vocals, etc. ...

But this is definately more of a jazz record than the marketing would have you believe. But you know what? That's cool. It's really cool actually. This is the type of record I want to make, just good funky music that's accessible to anyone who listens to it but is not dumbed down to suit popular taste. The compositions are great, the musicians give outstanding performances. It also came with a bonus CD featuring remixes by Carlos Mena, Dj Spinna, Jahi Sundance and others.

Dig and you will not be sorry.Posted by Hello


About this entry


3 comments:

  1. Lena 8:17 AM

    This sounds pretty good. I may check it out this weekend when I'm spending my hard earned money.

     
  2. Lyman 9:55 AM

    Be prepared for some funk in yo' trunk.

    Graduation, published paper, birthdat ... you deserve to spend some money on yourself.

     
  3. KHM 9:15 AM

    Dude---gave the Amazon sampler a listen to see if I should buy---how could this get filed with Pop? Huh? It sounds good! And not Pop.