Things I've learned about my "new neighborhood" of Mid-town Manhattan

-Grocery stores are a pipe dream. They don't exist around here. I guess I'm going to have to shop online or catch a cab to buy some friggin' eggs and bananas.

-There is constant noise. Nothing loud or disturbing, but it's never serene, fo' sho'.

-The falafel guy on 6th Avenue is great, I've never had better food from a cart at 2 AM.

-Laundromats are about as plentiful as grocery stores.

-Walking down 5th Avenue in the middle of the afternoon would be great training for NFL Runningbacks.

-I love it, but I'd certainly never have the money to live here on my own means.


About this entry


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous 4:13 AM

    La Marquesa.......is that you Tracy??
    I love hearing about NYC, Nephew. Enjoy!!!!!!
    Love you, Aunt Carol

     
  2. KHM 5:45 AM

    Grocery stores don't look like they do in LA---they're tiny little places run by some East Asian family and usually have tons of flowers or fruit out front. In Mid-Town my approach has always been to keep piles of five dollar bills in your pocket---grease the palms of folks and you'll find out almost anything. But it is, as you say, "fo sho'" a costly way to live. But love it while you can; you won't get another chance like this.

    Dude---right on 5th Ave---you're in Mecca; Manhattan doesn't get much better.

    When Carrie comes to visit take her to the River Cafe---it sits right at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side looking across at Manhattan---gorgeous but expensive; Rob and I had one of the best meals of our lives there. Worth every penny. Go for the Chef's tasting menu with paired wine selections and you won't be sorry.

     
  3. Jeffool 10:05 PM

    Wow, I must say, I've always thought I'd love to have a shot to live there for a couple of months...

    But you're saying they don't bathe or eat? Now I'm rethinking that...

    (Hi everyone. Big shout-out to Lyman's mom!)