Requests

Whenever I'm playing at a restaurant or bar or something like that the band always gets requests.

Now, I usually don't mind taking requests, they are usually followed by a nice tip. Especially if they are for standards that are well-loved by the requester. For instance, I was doing a restaurant gig last night with a piano player friend of mine and an elderly couple requested "Harlem Nocturne." Later they tell us they are there celebrating their 50th Wedding Anniversary and had danced to "Harlem Nocturne" all those years ago. Sweet right?

Then later comes a dreaded request. There are two songs that I and most every other jazz musician hate, HATE to get, and of course we had a request for one of them. They are requested at probably 90% of the club dates I do and I hate them both. Its like the requester doesn't really care to hear the song, they just want to you to know that they know a little something about jazz. Well, it's not appreciated folks! So please for the love of all things sacred never EVER request "Take Five" or "Linus and Lucy" whenever you see a jazz group. Think of another jazz tune if you want to make a request. Or just sit back and enjoy what the guys are playing themselves.

We played "Take Five" and it was a drag. We didn't even get any applause afterwards meaning the people who requested it weren't even paying attention. That's the worst.

In other news I'm doing a rehearsal with a really good and popular big band tomorrow. I'm a little nervous so wish me luck.


About this entry


5 comments:

  1. KHM 5:15 PM

    Break a leg, boy wonder.

    OK--tell me why you hate to have Take Five requested? I'd never ever in amillion years request it because I really only want to hear Brubeck play it, but is it that you don't like the song at all or its just a pain in the butt?

    Love you---and promising to never ask you to play Take Five. Or Linus and Lucy.
    Kathy

     
  2. Anonymous 12:22 PM

    Play Misty for me...........

     
  3. Lyman 12:30 AM

    Its only because its requested so much. And I think the tune is corny. I mean the original recording is cool and all, but I've never heard another version I dug.

    A lot of guys hate "Misty" too (thus it's other name "Musty"), but I love that tune. Hoagy Carmichal man!

     
  4. KHM 5:26 AM

    Believe it or not---I know you're gonna laugh--I have a friend who is a member of a recorder ensemble; they do odd gigs but they put out a cd recently including their recorder quintet interpretation of Take Five.

     
  5. Anonymous 5:59 AM

    My play Misty for me was a movie reference, however I guess before your time because you didn't get it. Clint Eastwood was a DJ and a psycho stalker would keep calling his show and say play Misty for me. I do love the song too.

    Mom