XXXI

Five years ago on my birthday I was on the road with Mistah Tyrell in Atlantic City. I'd been telling everyone it was my 26th birthday but no one seemed to give a rat's ass. Then at the show that night Steve stopped, sang happy birthday, brought out a cake, and gave me a Peyton Manning jersey. It was really pretty nice. A security guard backstage asked me how old I was, when I told him "26" he said "you have your whole life in front of you." I was glad to hear this since I was at that moment officially in my late-twenties.

Five years later and here I am, it Atlantic City on the road with Mistah Tyrell. When I first realized this coincidence I had a fleeting thought of "wow, the same place five years later?" It briefly made me feel like I hadn't accomplished much since then. But of course that's not the case. But considering this and considering the fact that I'm officially in my early-thirties, indulge my aging ego and allow me to toot my own horn and list some accomplishments I'm most proud of since my last birthday in Atlantic City to help me put "31" in perspective:

-toured the country from Hawaii to New England and all points in between
-toured the entire world throughout Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia
-was on my first major label record release
-bought a house
-added the adorable yet lazy Murphy Medeiros to the family
-made my first record and actually sold a few
-held successful Record Release shows in Indy and Hollywood for said record
-received an Alumni Award from my alma mater
-never screwed up bad enough for my wife to leave me
-and of course, my masterpiece, my magnum opus,Milo Walker

Okay so I've done quite a bit over the past few years. I should keep this in mind instead of bumming out from the ugly Atlantic City boardwalk and ocean and missing my boy so much.

So I think I'll go to the Taj tonight with some of the boys and watch the De La Hoya fight. $30 just to watch the fight but hey, it's my birthday.


About this entry


3 comments:

  1. Jason 7:29 PM

    Man, in the past five years I've gained 50 pounds, lost more hair, sold a house, bought a house, had a beautiful daughter, sold a house, bought a house and am selling a house.

    All fun aside, you've always been modest about your achievements and I'm glad you've reflected to see how well we all know you have done. Love ya bro, Happy Birthday.

     
  2. KHM 7:33 PM

    Happy Birthday! We've been thinking of you and planning surprises! Enjoy your day, see you soon!

     
  3. Anonymous 4:50 AM

    Being the mother of the Ball State student I had a few misgivings about what you had picked for your future but you did it. You chased your dreams to LA taking the lovely Carrie with you and making the next generation of our lives in the darling Milo while there. That's to say nothing about how well you've done in your career. I watched Dick Clark watching my boy play his bass, it doesn't get much better than that for a mother unless she is off stage watching him being filmed for the TV show EXTRA, then there was the Lady and the Tramp dvd. I could go on and on. You have so much to be proud of and so do I.
    LYFE Your Biggest Fan