You Speakin' My Language?

I had a gig last night at this restaurant in La Habra. It was with this piano player that I'd never met before. Now, jazz is very much like a conversation between musicians. Everyone is improvising at the same time but the improvisation doesn't';t make much sense unless everyone is on the same page. Well this piano player was a good enough player, but it was like we were speaking different languages, stylistically we didn't really match up very well. That added to the fact that it was just a duo gig for four hours made for a pretty long night. But it was good practice playing so much.

After that my boy Bill and I had a drink then I stopped by my buddy Pasta's to talk about the NFL Draft, football starts in mere months folks!!

And after a blazing start the Dodgers have lost three in a row. Ouch.

(current soundtrack: "Run For Your Life" The Beatles, "The Warmth of Your Breath" Fishbone, "Lausd" Jurassic 5, "What So Never The Dance" Bootsy Collins, "Got To Be The Way It Is" Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings)


About this entry


2 comments:

  1. Lena 10:37 AM

    I love Jurassic 5. I bought their first CD way back.

     
  2. Lyman 11:26 AM

    "Quality Control"? That's a good one.

    I don't have their second one. They have another disc coming out sometime this year.