The 10,000 Yen incident

Last night after the gig I was having a drink with some of the guys in the band and was reminded of this story from Japan.

The first night I was in Tokyo I went to a jazz club with Lou and a friend of his. At the end of the night our bill came and I owed 900 Yen (about $9). I put in a 1,000 Yen bill and a few minutes later the waiter comes back and hands me a 10,000 Yen bill (about $100). I say "no, this is too much" but the waiter is insistent that is the change I am owed. I figure maybe I made a mistake and took the money. Later that evening I was looking through my wallet and found my ATM receipt, I had only withdrawn 10,000 Yen that day so the waiter had given me too much change. I felt weird about it, but what are you gonna do, ya know?

A few days later I was in Osakusa with Lauryn. We went to bank to get some more money. I stepped up to the ATM Machine and what was sitting there? Another 10,000 Yen bill! At this point I think "this is a test, someone up there is F'in' with me." I wanted no part of that 10,000 Yen, it felt like devil money! So I took the bill back in to the bank and gave it to one of the tellers. I tried explaining what had happened even though it was obvious he didn't speak English.

A few minutes later he comes back out and hands me a present. Weird, right? He was bowing and saying "thank you" so it was obvious that this gift was for returning the money. It was wrapped so I open it. Guess what it was ...

... a dishtowel

Not even a nice one. A thin, terricloth dishtowel. How crazy is that? Lauryn and I laughed our asses off, what a crazy, random gift to give someone. What's even crazier is that they have stuff like that laying around just in case there's a gift they need to give.

It's obviously a cultural thing. A couple of guys got some girls they met in a pub on the guest list to see our show. They brought them thank you gifts as well ... Stickers. A "no smoking" sticker and an "exit" sticker.

Wacky stuff man, wacky.


About this entry


4 comments:

  1. KHM 1:39 PM

    what a hoot, Lym! Did you send the dishtowel to your Mom as a souveneir?

    I always feel bad about finding money---what are you going to do? So I've made it my policy to always hand the "found" money over to folks who feed the hungry or shelter the homeless just as soon as I can.

    'cuz walk up to someone and say, "ummm.... is this YOUR C-note?" What---are you kidding me?

     
  2. Lyman 12:46 AM

    that's a good idea ... you're a better person than I!

    I don't know what has happened to the dishtowel actually ... I don't have it

     
  3. Anonymous 7:05 AM

    Did you forget when you were Japanese that "your people" never go anywhere, especially to someone's house without taking a present. How soon you forget. Plus if they have a money windfall (big gamblers) they give everyone a $1 so that the luck will stay with them. Learn It, Live It, Love It if you still want to be Japanese.

    Mom

     
  4. Lyman 9:14 AM

    I was like two years old, of course I've forgotten!