New Strings/New Records

I finally bought some new strings for my bass. I hear you’re supposed to change your strings every year or so (and seeing as how a set of upright bass strings can run you from $100-200, that’s not so bad), but I’ve probably had the same set of strings on my axe for over two years. It was only recently that I started noticing a sound difference. You have to understand changing strings can be a real drag, they take about a week darken up and lose their brightness, they slip out of tune, it takes a while for your bass to settle with a new set, etc. Even though I’m really busy it couldn’t wait any longer. I went to the music shop I go to and they put a new set on for me right before a gig at the Mancini Institute accompanying an improv class. I was a little concerned with their sound during the class but once I got home and messed with my bridge and played them a little more I really think they sound great. I think I’ll change them every year from now on weather I hear a tonal difference or not.

A lot of bassists experiment quite a bit with different strings going through many different sets looking for the right sound. My opinion is the longer you dwell on something like that, the bigger problem it becomes. I found a setup that works well for me (orchestral gauge D’Addarios for the top two strings, standard jazz Spirocores for the bottom two) and will probably stick with it.

While my bass was getting worked on I killed some time at Amoeba Music. You know how I’ve been saying that I’m behind on my listening? Well, let me tell you that didn’t stop me from buying four new records today, three LPs and a CD. I seriously need to chill out and catch up but I found some really killer deals on used LPs, what am I supposed to do? Once of the LPs I picked up is a solo bass record by Ron Carter. Nothing but bass, I didn’t know Ron had a record out in that setting. It’s nice. I listened to it and realized that his sound these days really lends itself to solo playing, maybe even more so than group playing.

I'm pulling another double shift tomorrow; a recording session for the Institute from 10 AM to 5 PM then a rehearsal for a concert this Friday from 7 PM to 10 PM. Ugh.


About this entry


1 comments:

  1. Lyman 11:09 PM

    I know you weren't really looking for an answer but it's probably because piano strings are struck with a felt hammer and bass strings are struck with your fingers. All of the oil and dead skin is what makes the strings go bad.