Rachael Yamagata at the Hotel Cafe

Last night I went to see singer Rachael Yamagata at this club in Hollywood. I've posted about her before, I'm a big fan of her record, her voice, and her songwriting.

A friend of mine is playing guitar with her right now, so not only was I excited to see her, I was stoked to see him play as well. They both were great, really great. I was skeptical because she's not touring with a drummer I guess. Even worse she has no bass player (can you believe it?!). It's just her singing and playing piano (or guitar), a guitarist and cellist. But the show was great regardless. Rachael has such a phenomenal voice, I was floored. Her pitch was nails, I didn't hear her sing an off note the entire night. We had a good time.

This club, the Hotel Cafe, used to be a little dive where we would have late night jam sessions a few years ago. They've totally revamped the place and made it a lot bigger. It's a totally different place now.

I got back from a weekend gig with Tyrell yesterday. We played a benefit at a "resort" (I use the term loosely) on the Lake of the Ozarks. It was a fine gig, the band sounded good.

So I've got two weeks of nothing on my calender right now. This is good because once I hit the road again I don't really stop until next year.


About this entry


2 comments:

  1. Dominic O'Rourke 2:50 PM

    Good to hear that your not settling down anytime soon and that you can still get out and about!

    Should I be looking out for this Rachal person?

     
  2. Lyman 8:54 AM

    Dom! Good to see you buddy. I'm still running all around the world, hope to make it back to England sometime.

    Rachael is great. I recommend her stuff highly.