The Year So Far

Well, the year is half over, more than half over actually. So here’s a list of my favorite things of 2005 so far:

Favorite CD: This is a tough call. I have bought a lot of new music that I’ve liked quite a bit. The experimental jazz music I’ve been checking out has really been inspiring to me but I think Mike Doughty’s “Haughty Melodic” might be the one that has resonated with me the most.

Favorite Movie: Not a great year for movies thus far. Cinderella Man was decent, War of the Worlds was a hell of a lot of fun but not an excellent piece of cinema, steer clear of Must Love Dogs … I’ll say my favorite movies thus far have been Sin City and Crash.

Favorite Comic: Conan by Kurt Busiek continues to be the most consistent comic out there. I really liked Identity Crisis from DC as well.

Favorite City visited: I’ll say Washington D.C. Moscow was wonderful and a great cultural experience, but not really the type of place I would like to live. Too gray.

Favorite Performance: Tough one. While I’ve had a lot of gigs this year, none of them really stand out for me artistically. Maybe that’s because I’m at a point in my career where I want to start playing my own music. I dunno. But the Butterfat Trio gig at the ISB Convention is my favorite for the year.

Favorite Dog: Murphy Medeiros.

Favorite Date: Valentine’s Weekend Carrie and I went to Santa Barbara; that was a lot of fun. The weddings in Indiana and Iowa were fun as well.

Favorite Video Game: Resident Evil 4 without a doubt. My geekiness knows no bounds.

Favorite Sports moment: Reggie Miller’s curtain call during the Pacers final home playoff game. Look for the Colts victory over New England on Monday Night Football in November take this award later in the year.

Favorite Book: Diary by Chuck Pahlaniuk.

Favorite addition to the family: Chloe Barnnett

Favorite Website: http://www.postsecret.blogspot.com/ You have to check this site out. People anonymously mail this guy their deepest secrets on postcards. He then puts them up on his blog. Both sad and funny this is a brilliant idea for a site and will really make you think.


There you have it. The rest of the year is busy as hell for me. A lot of work here in LA this month and then I’m out on the road for a great majority of the year. The 2-month-long New York City gig looms large. As does football season!!


About this entry


4 comments:

  1. KHM 5:34 PM

    Hey Lym: I checked out your fave website---its provocative, for sure. Freaky thing though is the guy whho runs it is my neighbor. I wonder what HIS secret is.

     
  2. Lyman 10:06 PM

    There is an article written by the guy way down in the blog that mentions something about his secret. But I think he was abstract about it and didn't really reveal what it was.

     
  3. Lena 8:39 AM

    I agree-- that favorite is added to my favorites list. New guilty pleasure.

     
  4. Lyman 10:36 AM

    "guilty pleasure"

    Ironic description of that site if you ask me!