Update

Today was the final day of the summer jazz improv class I’ve been teaching for the past month. We gave a little concert for the parents of the students in the Music LA program (there was a ‘classical’ class as well). It was a lot of fun. I was really proud of our students. They played really well and I honestly think they learned a lot over the past four weeks. I kind of dreaded teaching again since I hadn’t done it for so long, but I’m quite glad I lead the class. It was a good experience for me.

I’ve been playing quite a bit at night in addition to teaching and accompanying classes at the Henry Mancini Institute during the day. Busy schedule, but busy means playing music so buys ain’t so bad. Tonight I had another gig with the latin jazz group I play with, fun times. I dig playing with that band because I can sing a bit. Plus, I dig latin grooves. When they’re played right they swing as hard as anything.

I still haven a lot of listening to get in to. I’ve picked discs by Terence Blanchard, Charlie Hunter, Chick Corea, and William Parker over the past couple of weeks. I’ve liked what I’ve heard, none of them struck me on the initial listening though. I need to dive into them a little more.

On a different note, poor Muprhy is sick. The little guy has been vomiting quite a bit over the past 36 hrs. or so. He’s going straight to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully it won’t be anything serious.

I have a day off tomorrow before another ten straight days of work (including a trip to Atlantic City with Tyrell).


About this entry


3 comments:

  1. Lena 8:37 AM

    Latin Jazz is awesome.

    I plan on volunteering at Lincoln Center when the Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra plays- late September I think.

     
  2. Lyman 10:35 AM

    I bet that will be a great concert. Volunteer at Lincoln Center much?

     
  3. Lena 8:56 AM

    Yeah, I volunteered a while back-- nearly 6 months ago for a Tony Bennett thingy.