Barak/Three Bands, One Bass

Well it looks like my homey John Edwards is dropping out of the presidential race. It's too bad but I'm still very confident in Barak.

I got a rather disturbing email a while back, it was a forward claiming that Barak is an Al Qaida operative. It pointed to the fact that Barak had a Muslim step-father and grew up in Jakarta. Let me tell you, this is unbelievably ignorant. In case you might have any cultural, racial or religious prejudices about the man just because of his name, let me set the story straight. Obama did indeed spend time in Jakarta but only from ages 6-10. He was born in Hawaii and moved back there to finish school. He then went to college in L.A. and NYC. He's also been baptized and has been a member of the Trinity Church of Christ for over twenty years.

So if there are some morons in the world who still think he's secretly a terrorist, I don't know what to say. I myself have spent time in Hawaii, L.A. and NYC and I'm pretty sure I'm not Al Qaida. I have a friend who is of the opinion that Barak would be assassinated if he became president, I hope our country has moved passed that but you never know.

Anyway, he gave a wonderful speech addressing Dubya's last 'State of the Union'. Check it out, his comments about tax cuts for the middle class and no permanent tax breaks for the wealthy especially resonate:


***

In other news, I have a pretty big show tonight. I'm going to be playing with not one, not two, but THREE different bands in one show. My buddy Brandon Turchiano is having a CD Release Party for his first record "Working For The Man". I play both electric and upright on the record and am really proud of my playing, it's all funky stuff and there are some fun tracks. So check it out if you're interested.

So I'm playing with his band tonight. I'm also playing with my buddy Vinnie Santino, his music is a unique blend of swing and punk. And I'm also performing with my friend Cory's band Chloroform Days. It's electronic folk music with myself, guitar/vocals, and a DJ. Its going to be a fun night and a real workout for me playing such vastly different styles of music.


About this entry


8 comments:

  1. Special K 9:58 AM

    http://www.theonion.com/content/video/mysterious_traveler_entrances

     
  2. Special K 9:59 AM

    Erg, make that... this.

     
  3. KHM 10:40 AM

    Sounds great, dude. Rock on (I wish I could make the hand symbol somehow)

    I'm sorry, too, about Edwards. At this point, I'm pulling for the candidate that is most likely to defeat the Repubs by a margin so large there will be no undoing it. One of the really interesting things to me this year is the degree of accord on policy issues between the three (make that two) Dem candidates. That's good for all of us. But I do suppose it means that the entire nation has been really polarized and its going to be a huge US vs THEM slug-out.

    Thank god Thompson dropped out, eh?

     
  4. KHM 10:41 AM

    ps--that's GREAT cover art for Working for the Man. I'll order up a copy.

     
  5. KHM 10:56 AM

    just listened to Turchiano's selections on his MySpace---those tunes have a bit in common with your tracks on Funky Supervillain; I'll bet you had fun playing on it! I like Souled Out and Quite Content. He's got a nice sound on the horn, doesn't he?

    Trombone players have great embouchures. Bari horn players, too.

     
  6. Lyman 3:17 PM

    Funny shit K, I love the ticker at the bottom of those: "Center for Reproductive Research says sperm banks allow men to impregnate women who are way out of their league." HA!

    Brandon does have a good sound. He plays a lot of keyboards on the record too.

     
  7. KHM 7:50 PM

    At the end of the clip there's a blurb that reads, "Study shows 12% percent of divorces related to Ikea furniture assembly". When Rob and I decided to marry, a mutual colleague advised us that if we would like to remain married, we should never EVER wallpaper together.

    Never have.

     
  8. KHM 10:35 AM

    you need to post a follow up on these gigs, Lyman; Brandon's cd is HOT. How were the shows?