ROCK!

Last week I connected with my old, old friend Josh. Josh and I were in our very first garage band together back in Junior High School. He's still playing and has a successful band out of Florida, Tenspoke Indies. He also works for Dean Guitars so he as in SoCal last week for the annual NAMM show. I went to Hollywood to meet Josh and his friends all of which were rock musicians as well, they were all dressed in leather jackets, boots, long hair, etc. Needless to say I felt a little out of place in my thermal and Eddie Baur short-sleeve button-down. But it was great to see an old friend still playing music and still rocking the f***k out. I figured I'd be dressed a lot like those guys had I stuck with rock instead of gravitating towards jazz music.

The timing of our little reunion was perfect as I had just started reading this fantastic book Fargo Rock City by rock journalist Chuck Klosterman. Its about growing up on 80's metal in a small town, something I can definitely relate to. The book really is a sociological study on the impact of "hair bands" on kids' lives; his goal is to justify the genre as 'important' even though (as far as musics go) it wasn't a very 'good' one. It's also a hilarious memoir and is very well written.

Now, my 80's metal phase was rather brief. While I loved Guns N' Roses (still do) and similar bands by 8th grade I was in to The Cure and by 9th grade I was listening to Alice In Chains and by 9th grade Nirvana broke and changed everything. Sure I followed all of the popular metal bands of the day but I never owned a Motley Crue or Poison tape, I didn't need to--they were on MTV constantly. But 80's metal is still rather sentimental to me and after this past week I've decided its something I need to re-investigate and re-live a bit. I got rid of a lot of my old tapes long ago so I think I'll pillage iTunes looking for my old favorite tracks.


About this entry


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous 4:43 AM

    I think your old tapes are still in your treasure boxes in my garage. You know how you hate to throw away your stuff (3 boxes of Star Wars stuff). I'm glad you had a great time going down memory lane. LYFE Mom

     
  2. KHM 10:05 AM

    The perennial soothsayer, Tom Petty, has said, "Anything that's Rock and Roll is Fine."

    But I think he never imagined the havoc that could be wreacked upon RnR's glowing image by the likes of "hair bands". In fact, hair bands are what made me wish MTV had less music programming. From the minute I heard Aerosmith sinking to the lowest of lows with "Janie Got a Gun", I knew it was time for me to go looking for a new sound---and it was first blues and then jazz. Hair bands made a jazz fan out of me.

    I remember a visit with you in '91 or '93 or so when you taped for me your recordings of The Spin Doctors (I love "Two Princes" and "Pocketful of Kryptonite") and the RHCP's Mother's Milk. That's when I knew you definitely had en ear for the good stuff. I think I still have that tape stashed somewhere.

     
  3. KHM 10:06 AM

    We'll think of this as guilty pleasure: I do kinda like some of Metallica and White Snake...

     
  4. Lyman 10:23 AM

    Boy oh boy did the Spin Doctors ever fade quickly.

    Now that I've put a little more thought in to it, there aren't that many pop metal bands I want to listen to again save for The Cult, Skid Row, some select Def Lepard tracks, and a little Ratt, Tesla, and Living Colour.

     
  5. KHM 10:42 AM

    gotta have the Living Colour! And do remember that Rob regards "Pour Some Sugar on Me" as the best song ever written...

     
  6. KHM 7:50 AM

    Oh yeah---need to add that there's a whole body of science on the imprinting of music on adolescent minds. You'll never escape it.