Sweet Home Corporate Retail

When I arrived in Nashville the night before last I discovered that I had forgot to pack a pair of jeans. In fact, I had no pants at all save for a pair of sweats and my suitpants. I guess its my first time on the road or something. I needed a new pair of jeans anyway so I ventured out to find one. I've discovered during my years of travel that there are two ways to get a true local experience in a new city; one is finding a local dive bar and the other is using public transportation. After the hotel concierge told me that a cab ride to the nearest mall was $20+ I soon realized I was in for a true local experience here in Nashville. The bus ride was quite easy and cheap (tax dollars working successfully!) and the people were nice.

When I got to the mall a feeling of homey familiarity came over me. Banana Republic, J Crew, Starbucks, Abercrombie & Fitch, Pottery Barn, Sharper Image ... all the familiar places I visited growing up, home in L.A., and nearly every town I've ever been to on the road. It was like seeing an old friend from home while traveling "Oh hey Gap! I thought I might run in to you here. Good to see you again, man! I see you're still sporting those pre-wrinkled shirts and cheap-ass polos, but who are these new sweater vests in your life these days?" My old buddy Gap sold me a pair of boot cut jeans and I was on my way. I even made new friends with a gentleman who doesn't leave the south much Dillard's. I got some great clothes there as well (I love shopping in the South, it's much easier to find my size than in L.A. if you knowutumsayin'). The mall trip was great and a great cure for homesickness. But I guess that's the point of these nation-wide corporate chains isn't it? People have a much easier time with familiarity than they do new experiences.

So far Nashville has been great. Playing with Symphony Orchestras are among the best gigs I do, fun musical experiences and great resume builders. And the assault of country music has been bearable.


About this entry


8 comments:

  1. Anonymous 1:35 PM

    Glad you had a good experience going to the mall. I hope you bought baby and his mama something too. Souveniers are always wanted, at least in my book.
    LYFE Mom

     
  2. Lyman 2:30 PM

    Well, the Gap in TN has the same crap a Gap in CA does. Not much of a souvenir.

     
  3. clterry 7:50 AM

    But Carrie could have worn that new gap shirt knowing that Lyman was thinking about her while he was in TN. hahah! A Elvis souvenir, cowboy boots or guitar would be a great souvenir.

     
  4. KHM 9:11 AM

    sorry to jump on this bandwagon, guy, but you should pretty much always bring a little "I was thinking of you trinket" home even if its just a little chocolate.

    Back when I was travelling a LOT for work, I kept a huge stash of beanie babies in my suitcase all the time and when I got home I'd just pull one out for each of the kids and voila--everyone was happy. Rob was not really so much into the beanie babies, though...

     
  5. Carrie 4:09 PM

    There was nothing this time from Daddy. When I asked him about it, he said I could have had a guitar lighter and Milo could have had a shirt that said, "I'm a little redneck." I'm glad he saved his money. I usually request something when he goes somewhere that makes me really jealous. Aside from one of my best friends living in Nashville, the location doesn't leave me envious.

     
  6. Lyman 8:17 AM

    the shirt actually said "I'm a lil' redneck"

     
  7. Special K 9:46 AM

    someone gave us a souvenir from the south - a coffee cup that said, "American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God!" Ugh.

     
  8. KHM 12:15 PM

    I have a friend from college that uses that "southern by the grace of god" as her tagline on AIM...oh, how the time does change us...