New Wheels


Finally after all of this time we got the new car. One week ago today we acquired this 2008 Honda CRV, perfect for bass and baby. I really dig it. Its the first new car I've ever owned and I hope it will last until Milo takes Driver's Ed.

As you know I've been preparing for this for a LONG time. I've done so much research not wanting to get ripped off and I feel I've done well. Through CarBuyingTips and FightingChance I learned a lot, so this is how I finally went about buying a new car:

I first decided what I wanted, a Honda CRV EX series. This was one step up from the bass model and includes a 'moon roof', stereo controls on the steering wheel, and a better sound system. Through sites such as Cars.com, Edmunds.com, and YahooCars I got a bunch of quotes from a bunch of dealers. When you get quotes through a website you are usually dealing with an internet fleet manager as opposed to a salesman so the price is usually going to be more competitive. I took the lowest quote I got and asked if any of the dealers wanted to beat it, most said they would match it but not beat it. So I took my lowest quote to a dealer, picked out a car, and sat down to haggle. BIG MISTAKE. I'll never try to haggle with one of these guys again. Right off the bat he sat me down and said the car came with a 'Pro-Pack' (which was nothing more than a plastic liner for the cargo space, suspicious looking mudflaps, and different lugs for the hubcaps) and that option would add another $700 on top of MSRP. Carrie and I said 'no way'. He said he could give us $300 off but not the entire thing because the Service Dept. would still need to charge him. I said "isn't the Service Dept. and the Dealership owned by the same company" he said "yes, but they are a separate entity" and went on to say he didn't really understand it because he'd only been working there 8 months.

BULLSHIT!

At this point I whipped out all of my research which included the invoice price and my lowest quote. He immediately looked distraught and told me he had to take my stuff to his "manager". I made them an offer and they said "no way". I asked him what kind of hidden fees (such as dealer prep, etc.) there were after the price and he once again claimed he didn't know. Back and forth we went but they wouldn't budge. So Carrie and I left.

Now the CRV is the #1 selling SUV for $25,000 or less, it's a really hot car and through the quotes I was getting and the experience at the dealership I realized I wasn't going to get a deal below invoice for it. So I decided the base model (the LX series) would be fine and did another round of internet quotes. We ended up purchasing our vehicle for $300 over invoice which is not too shabby for such a good selling car. I got the quote over email, confirmed it over the phone, drove to the lot and picked up my SUV. There were no extra options such as the Pro-pack or Lojack or any of the other things they put on the car to pad the price. The only fees I was charged were tax and title. I couldn't have been happier.

And if you can believe it, I'm abbreviating the story. I was lied to on more than one occasion by these guys. But I learned a lot about buying a car. Here are some tips:

-DO YOUR RESEARCH. The worse thing you can do is walk in to a dealership without knowing everything you can about the car.

-Invoice price is NOT the price the dealer paid for the car. After you take into account 'holdback' and factory-to-dealer incentives cars often cost dealer a couple grand less than the invoice price they give you. FightingChance can give you up-to-date info on dealer incentives, invoice pricing, etc.

-Shop online. I can't stress this enough. The above sites I linked to strongly urged only dealing online but I didn't see the light until I went to the dealership and experienced it for myself. You apply for quotes online and the internet fleet manager with either call you or email you a price. If they don't come up with a number over the phone, don't deal with them-they only want to get you in to the dealership so they can start their bullshit negotiating.

-Finance online. Dealers offer financing so they can bump up the price of the car on you. When they say "what do you want your monthly payment to be?" run for the hills. They will hook you up with a low APR but claim they have to charge more for the car and in the end you will lose more money. I got approved for 5.6% APR online from CapitolOne, the best any dealership offered me was 5.9%. CapitolOne mailed me a blank check that was able to write for any amount I was approved for, I went to the dealership, made a down payment and paid for the rest of it with the blank check. My financing is all squared away and won't have to deal with the dealership again.

So thats the story. The sites I linked to above was how I came across all of this information but much of it didn't make sense until I actually experienced it. I really liked learning about this stuff so if you or anyone you know is buying a car (new or used) feel free to ask me any questions. I'm an expert at this point.

Best part is I love my car.

Now I need to add that I do have some guilt over my CRV. Not because of the price or anything but because my Grandfather, a life-long UAW member, drove the "Be American, Buy American!" philosphy into my head as a kid. And my father-in-law (who works at the same UAW factory that my grandfather did) has strong opinions on the subject as well. So let me say this for my own comfort: I have a young family and an unpredictable career, I researched a LOT of cars. With those things in mind the CRV was the best buy for SUVs in our price range. In regards to gas mileage, safety, re-sale value, dependability, and price it blows the American counterparts out of the water. JD Powers and Associates agree. I wish I could make a political statement and buy an American vehicle but I have bigger things to think about (and frankly if I could afford a political statement I would've bought a hybrid).

So that's the story of the new car. Well, most of it anyway. Now let's make sure we don't get another greedy, oil-lovin' crook in the White House so I don't have to finance my next fill-up!


About this entry


12 comments:

  1. kbmulder 6:31 AM

    Oooooh! Ahhhhh! Pretty car! Thanks for all the car buying tips:)

     
  2. Unknown 6:53 AM

    Like my dad always says, "Car salesmen will lie to you even if they don't have to."

    Congratulations!

    - a mulder

     
  3. Special K 8:03 AM

    Ugh, buying a car is such a P.i.t.A. I NEVER want to do it again. Ha! I like that quote, Andy!

    I'm definitely going to review this when we do have to buy again, though. Good job, L.

     
  4. KHM 8:04 AM

    I like that you got the "bass model" I think that's very appropriate.

    You guys will be stylin'. I'm glad you got a good stereo--its hardly a luxury in LA traffic.

    I'm with you---do the homework up front and when they give you that "gotta talk to my manager" stuff, just take your stuff and fly.

    Verily I say unto you: W00t! very, very nice! My sweet little cousin is not only handsome and talented, but smart like hell, too.

     
  5. Drew 8:42 AM

    Nice ride Lyman. My parents have one and I don't think they have had any complaints. Check out the CR-V Owners Club for information on your new car from other CR-V owners.

    Isn't the CR-V made in East Liberty, Ohio? May not technically be "buy American", but American workers built your car. Hope that eases your guilt some.

     
  6. Lyman 8:51 AM

    I checked the sticker, the engine and transmission were made in Japan, not sure about the assembly. I'll check out the Owner's Club, thanks.

    And Kathy unfortunately I went with the lower model so while it does have a decent stereo with a CD player and Axillary MP3 port, it only has 4 speakers. Maybe I'll get a better system someday.

     
  7. KHM 9:56 AM

    Hey, Lym: your grandpa, I'm pretty certain, would want you to make the best decision for your family. I'm sure he couldn't have imagined the difference in cost-value between the foreign and American cars these days. You done good.

    You'll just have to crank the rear speakers way the heck up is all...the vehicle's not that big any way.

     
  8. Jason 7:17 AM

    Lyman, I think you did a great job in getting your first new car! It is great to go into a large purchase of any kind knowing what you want and what you will pay for it by doing all the research first. My wife thinks I'm nuts some times for the online research I've done in the past.

    Out of everyone whose posted so far, I think I'm the only one who has a salesman that I know, like and trust. Our company has been doing business with him and the dealership for 13+ years and it has been a good relationship.

    That being said, I too have come across the "I've only been here X time" guy that likes to play dumb and not answer questions and I walked out on him....after driving 4 of his cars because he made me mad.

     
  9. Lyman 12:18 PM

    I don't know why salesmen think claiming ignorance is going to help them make a sale.

    "This guy doesn't know what the hell is going on, I'm going to give him my money."

     
  10. clterry 6:33 AM

    Great Job doing your research. Buying a car is no fun, I hate car salesman. I am not looking forward to buying our next vehicle this summer. Thanks for the tips.

     
  11. BT 8:17 AM

    Connie hates dealing with the salesman, thank goodness I do. I like the game plus it helps lower my Buyer remorse after financing 4 or 5 years of my life away. Good thing I pay off my cars early. Pay a %portion every week totaling the payment or more every month, and watch as you save on financing.

     
  12. Lyman 12:28 AM

    If you want to pay it off early then you shouldn't finance for 4 or 5 years. Finance for 3, you're only adding more cost on to you vehicle by financing longer.