At Last!

Finally I have another recording session for my album scheduled. It’s been over two months since the first session and I’ve been getting pretty anxious. I was having real problems scheduling something with the drummer Lorca. As a result I had to call someone else for the next session. No big deal, this guy is great too. His name is Tom and he’s been playing with us with Tyrell for a while. He also plays with Chick Corea. Not bad.

Originally I had wanted to do this session with a vocalist, Jessica. But she’s going to be out of town the day of the session. When I first heard that she couldn’t make it I was pretty bummed. Now I have another group of songs that I’d originally planned on recording with a sax player. Problem with that was I had no clue who I wanted to use. So I was considering recording those songs with just a trio; myself, Quinn (the pianist from the first session), and Tom. But I really wanted another instrument in there for a couple of songs. Then it finally dawned on me to call my buddy (and excellent guitar player) Steve. Luckily he’s available and excited to do it. I know, guitar and sax are two different beasts, but it’s more important to me to get a musician who works well with the music as opposed to a specific instrument. I’ve always wanted this to be a funk record with jazz improvisation on it. Steve is very much a jazz player and a good one. Besides, the four of us have spent two weeks on the road together playing with Tyrell so there’s already a vibe there.

Had a gig last night at a restaurant in La Habra. A bit far to be driving on a Friday but luckily I had a pretty fun time playing. The pianist (who I’d never met before) was a nice guy.

Later on today Carrie and I are going to a graduation party for one of her friend’s sons. That should be fun. I always like meeting new people.

It is HOT here in SoCal. Hope yo’ AC works.


About this entry


0 comments: