Not Meant To Be

Got to the venue last night, the show was sold out. That’s what I get for not calling ahead. So much for all of that hype!

On a positive not I picked up a great CD by Ethan Iverson yesterday. He’s the pianist in The Bad Plus (one of my favorite bands right now … they are playing at the Knitting Factory next week and you can bet your ass I’ll get tickets ahead of time) and a real talent. It’s his trio with Reid Anderson (the bassist in The Bad Plus) and Billy Hart. Billy’s a legendary drummer who’s played with everyone from Miles Davis to Charles Lloyd. Billy also taught at Western Michigan while I was there so I got to talk to and play with him quite a bit. Also, his son Lorca lives here in LA and was the drummer for the first session of my record. Anyway, I was kind of skeptical of the CD, I have a record by Reid Anderson and I wasn’t that impressed. I was thinking that maybe the guys in the Bad Plus just work well together and not with anyone else. Then I picked up a GREAT CD by a band called Happy Apple that features the drummer from The Bad Plus and I dug it. So I decided to try out Iverson’s disc. And it is really good as well. Good pick-up for me, I’m glad I bought it. The jazz element is a lot more prevalent on this disc than The Bad Plus records. Both this record and Happy Apple will be seeing heavy rotation on the iPod.


About this entry


0 comments: