Yesterday I went into Hollywood to rehearse a little bit with the guitar player for the recording session tomorrow. Another trip to Hollywood means another trip to Amoeba Music and more new CDs.

I picked up the new Ron Blake record. I’ve been excited for this record ever since I first saw it advertised. Ron is the sax player in the Christian McBride Band, one of the hottest groups today featuring one of the baddest bass players walking the planet. I have Ron’s first record; it was good but not really earth-shattering. I could tell there was a lot of potential there though. Me'shell NdegéOcello is the producer on his latest disc. It’s really good. I haven’t thoroughly sunken my ears into it yet but I could tell from the first listening that it’s what I was looking for. It also came with a disc of remixes.

Also picked up a retrospective compilation of a band called Red House Painters. My good friend and seriously talented musician/songwriter Matt Boyer plays guitar in a band called Sun Kill Moon. The leader of Sun Kill Moon was also the leader of Red House Painters, Mark Gozalek. I saw Sun Kill Moon last year and really dug their music. So I picked up this Red House Painters retrospective knowing the music would be in the same vibe.

Last night I played at the same jam session I did last week. It was fun. Bass players hardly ever show up to jam sessions meaning I play the entire night. That can be a drag but its good for me. Like bass cardio exercise or something. Again, a lot of good players showed up which always makes things more fun.

Today I’m just going to relax and make sure I’m well-rested and that my head is in the right place for tomorrow’s recording session.


About this entry


0 comments: