Waxin' Funky Sounds

The session today went really well. Steve, Quinn, and Tom all played their asses off. And Kevin at f.Boo (the engineer and studio I’m using) was easy to work with as always. We got multiple solid takes of four different tracks. I have a lot to work with and am happy with what I got down.

I went in to last session having worked out basic ideas of what I was going to play for the bass parts. I had licks planned out and really knew what I wanted to play. One of the tunes we did at the first session was an original of mine called “Big Slick.” We did multiple takes of it and for the last take I threw out everything I had planned on playing for my solo and improvised off the top of my head … and that ended up being the best take. So this time I came in without many preconceived notions of how I wanted my solos to sound. I just went in and played and I think it worked out for the best.

This time we recorded some covers in addition to originals of mine. The tracks were; “Beatrice”, a jazz composition by saxophonist Sam Rivers; “The Funky Supervillain, and original of mine that is fast and aggressive; “Red Baron,” a funk tune written by drummer Billy Cobham; and “Such A Beautiful Girl,” a ballad of mine.

I should get a CD of what we did within the next couple of days. I can’t wait to hear it.


About this entry


0 comments: