I’ve been poking around online and I’m discovering that everyone absolutely loves Episode III.

Well, I’m in the minority.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked it. There are a lot of things you know are going to happen in the movie and it delivers in a pretty big way. The art direction is the best out of the first three, there is a lot of action, and the plot develops nicely.

But the dialogue is still really bad. Especially the parts with Annakin and Padme. And while there were many battles in the film, the pacing of it seemed pretty bogged down.

Maybe it was the crowd I saw it with. The theater was packed, I mean PACKED. Remember, I went to a 2:50AM showing. You figure if there are a bunch of people who stayed up that late to watch a movie, they’d be pretty enthusiastic about it. Not the case. No thunderous applause at the end, no hollering when Yoda kicks some ass, none of that. I guess you can attribute that to the early hour, but I just don’t think the movie is as dramatic or grandiose as it could’ve been.

That being said, it still is a lot of fun. Lucas didn’t pull any punches, this movie is dark and seeing Annakin become Darth Vader is pretty impressive.

So there you go. This morning I didn’t think I’d have an interest in seeing it again but now I’m having second thought. Carrie wants to see it of course; maybe I’ll go again with her. Maybe that will give me some more perspective on it.

I mean, it’s still Star Wars. So it’s still pretty cool.


About this entry


2 comments:

  1. Lena 11:08 AM

    I won't see it until the hype wears out.

    Probably in a month and a half or so...

     
  2. Lyman 3:29 PM

    Good idea. You'll certainly be able to watch it more objectively.

    Funny thing is I wanted to see it so early because of the hype ...