Chillin' in the District

So this is my fourth day in Washington DC and I haven't performed since Saturday night.

Nice work if you can get it.

I spent some time with my cousin Kathy at her home on Sunday and Monday. The scheduling of this unusual amount of time off while on the road was pretty serendipitous, Kathy was also having the family of her sister Beth down for a visit as well. I haven't seen those cousins in over ten years.

Beth passed away last year. She died too young, way too young and too full of life. I could go on and on about what a tragedy her early passing was ... Those of you reading who knew her certainly would agree. Anyway, Kathy had come up with the wonderful idea of planting a tree for Beth on Monday since it was her birthday and since Sunday was Mother's Day. So that made the timing of my days off in DC all the more remarkable. It was great seeing the McLaughlins again. The kids were all teenagers save for the youngest who is eleven. Seeing them again coupled with my birthday last week certainly made me feel old. The kids are smart, full of personality, and really get along well. It was a joy spending time with them.

And Monday morning we planted the tree and sprinkled Beth's ashes amongst the soil. It was the perfect tribute and I feel lucky to have been a part of it.

Then it was back to my hotel to relax and get ready for the gig later tonight. I'd planned on seeing some sights yesterday seeing as how I had nothing planned. But after going out to lunch with our pianist I get blindsided with a terrible allergy attack. Sneezing, itchy eyes, the whole nine. So unfortunately AC and rest were in order for the rest of the day. Last night I went to dinner with some of the guys and hung out a while but that was about it. We'll hit the Smithsonian tomorrow.

So there it is. I'm looking forward to playing again. I'm having a sort of bass-withdrawal. And while I love being on the road I love being with my Carrie and Murphy more, and there's only a few more days until that happens again.


About this entry


2 comments:

  1. KHM 11:35 AM

    Hey Lym: it was beyond cool hanging out with you so much recently. If you were having bass withdrawl then I'm having bass-playah withdrawl! Come on back!

    I'm glad you enjoyed the time together as well. The little girls all miss you!
    Cousin kat

     
  2. Lyman 8:54 PM

    Miss you too. Got to see you so much I got used to it!

    Give those girls a kiss for me.